We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

who to trust for rental properties

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
who to trust for rental properties

Planning next summer visit..looking for rentals with kitchens and comfortable but not 5 star beachfront. I would appreciate help with reliable local rental agencies...also which part of the island ..not fisherman just a tourist. There seems to be many to choose but looking for experienced advice from local experts.

Thanx

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: who to trust for rental properties

Are you looking for vacation rental homes, or condos, or just hotels w/ suites? Which part of the island depends on what you want to do while you are here. If you want mostly easy beach access, the west end is best. If you want to be in town, where the majority of attractions and restaurants are located, then you'll want east end, or just mid town area. Tell us a little more about your trip...

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: who to trust for rental properties

Thanks for your quick note back....as mentioned we will be doing more tourist things (7 Yr old grandson to great grandpa). We are not fisherman but maybe a boat ride arounde the area would be nice.

Also what part of the island do you recommend. Do you know which of the many rental companies are judged the best?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: who to trust for rental properties

In town versus the west end sounds best for your situation then. All of the area attractions - Moody Gardens, boat tours, The Strand, etc - will be within a 10 minute drive, regardless where you rent, if you stay in town. There are several large rental agencies, and while I can't claim I've ever dealt directly with any, I've not heard anything negative about any in particular either. You can check here: http://www.galveston.com/resortrentals/ for a list of companies located on the island.

Harbor Tours, located near Pier 21, is a great 1.5 hour narrated boat tour. We also have a "Duck Tour", but the water portion of the tour is pretty short.

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: who to trust for rental properties

I have already seen that list..it is quite long...if you hear any comments about them let me know...Thanks again for the tips for the trip!

DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: who to trust for rental properties

Hi, we have rented from just about everywhere on the island at this point, when it comes to rental homes, but in general the largest agencies, and the ones you can rely on most, are:

Sand N Sea

Bay Reef

Prudential (Gary Greene)

Castaways

We've rented from all of them and they are reputable companies.

In general we rent homes on the West of the island, where it's a little quieter. You can also rent some fancier houses on the East end even some near the wharf, which is closer to tourist things, but if you want to spend more of your time hanging out on the beach I would recommend the West end.

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: who to trust for rental properties

Thanks for the info...as far as Bayside or bayfront?..only a couple of blocks makes a big difference in cost..how about convenience and property quality?

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: who to trust for rental properties

Every year our family rents a beach house through the rental companies in Galveston. Just this past month we had a huge issue with Century 21/Bay Reef Rentals. One week before our vacation they called to tell us the house we rented months ago is no longer available due to maintenance problems. They then offered us a different house that was not even comparable. We had a 4 bedroom/4 bath HUGE house and they tried to downgrade us to a 4 bedroom/2bathroom TINY house. They wouldn't even give us a discount for the different house and offered nothing to help. A few years prior, they did the exact same thing. Called us the day we were supposed to check in and said the roof collapsed. In my opinion, if you were keeping up with your houses, you wouldn't have these problems. Needless to say do not use them, they are horrible. We have heard other people having the same problems with them. My two favorite rental companies are Prudential 21, they really came through with us this year after the indecent with Bay Reef, or Sand n Sea. Sand n Sea is a little cheaper than others but you have to bring your own linens. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: who to trust for rental properties

Do you mean beachside or beachfront? I wouldn't recommend that you get a bayside house at all unless you plan to put in a boat in the canal. You aren't very close to the beach at all if you have a house along the canal, but if you want to bring your own boat and moor it in front of your house then that's the way to go.

Beachside or beachfront can make a difference, depending on what row the house is on. If your house is beachside on the second row in, say, Jamaica Beach, you'll be fine. If it's in the 4th row, you're going to have a bit of a walk ahead of you. This also varies by subdivision (the distance between rows in Pirates Beach, for instance, can be notoriously large) Give me some more information about what location you're looking at and maybe I can give you some better pointers.

Arlington, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: who to trust for rental properties

"Bay Front Escape" Pointe West Rental, I rented there before. They provide a lot of material in order for you to see the rental in its true state (not just when they took pictures). They have videos on Youtube.com, A website www.bayfrontescape.com. Highly professional rental agent & staff. Very nice folks. I plan to go back every year.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: who to trust for rental properties

We've rented thru Sandnsea as have many of our friends, they have many properties in Pirate's beach which is 8 miles west of town but pretty much the center of the island. You can get a better deal further from the beach and you can always drive your beach stuff up and drop it off and pick it back up so you don't have to carry chairs and all to the beach. We really like staying at Pirate's beach, it's all houses and doesn't ever seem too crowded to me.