We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Galveston - what area to stay in?

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
214 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Galveston - what area to stay in?

We are looking at a mid-June trip to Galveston...myself, my husband, our 2 kids (ages 5 and 1) and my brother, his wife, and their son age 5. We'd like a nice beach house/condo/townhouse, within a few blocks of the beach, but walking distance to some restaurants would be nice as well.

Having never been to Texas beaches, I'm not sure what to expect. We've been to lots of Florida beaches and I know this won't be the same, but will the kids enjoy the sand and water? Is there enough other activities in Galveston to keep them busy?

We are looking at a townhome rental in Karankawa, is that a nice area? Too far away from everything? Thanks so much!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Galveston - what area to stay in?

I've not heard of Karankawa, so I can't advise on that. But the eastern end of the Seawall would be the better place if you want to walk to dining and the beaches. There are some condos in the area, but drawing a blank at this moment. There are also lots of hotels to stay in.

Stewart Beach is good because they have bathroom and concession facilities that'll come in handy with the kids.

Schlitterbahn will be fun for the whole family if you want a break from the beach, but the kids want the water. The free ferry ride will be fun for the 5 yr old, and bring bread to feed the seagulls and watch for dolphin.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Galveston - what area to stay in?

Be sure to check out Moody Gardens too.

3. Re: First time to Galveston - what area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 11:17