We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some must sees in Galveston in mid-February

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What are some must sees in Galveston in mid-February

My husband, toddler & I will be traveling to Galveston in mid-February. What are some must sees? We are staying at teh Silverleaf Seaside Resort which I have read many mixed reviews about. I have also discovered we will be there during Galveston's Mardi Gras celebration so I have actually considered canceling the trip all together. Please any advice on what to do with a toddler would be great. Also, will the Schillterbahn be open ANY while we are there? Are there any indoor places we could swim?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are some must sees in Galveston in mid-February

According to Schillterbahn's web site they are closed all of January and February.

Galveston's main attractions are the beach, the historical buildings, and dinning. Moody Gardens also has attractions that a toddler might enjoy, I just think it's a little pricey for what you get.

I personally love the beach in winter, but it may be a little disappointing for a toddler not to be able to swim. I would fly a kite, feed the seagulls bread, build sand castles, have a picnic. You can also rent bicycles.

I've never been to Galveston's Mardi Gras celebration. Mardi Gras celebrations in cities other than New Orleans tend to be more family oriented. Hopefully someone who has actual experience with Galveston will post.

NASA has several things that a toddler would enjoy as does Kemah. Further into Houston is the Zoo, a Children's Museum, and the Natural History museum.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are some must sees in Galveston in mid-February

Schlitterbahn opens the first weekend in March, if you plan to reschedule, but March 10-18 is the main Spring Break action in Galveston and you'll want to avoid that.

Kids usually love the ferry ride across Bolivar Peninsula, you can drive on or walk and ride the round-trip.

I am in agreement about Moody Gardens, over-priced and over-rated. Plus, you can see a much better Aquarium in Atlanta, Ga

Kemah would satisfy the fun factor for your toddler, with lots of kid friendly rides. There are lots of restaurants and shops there to wander thru also, or just sit and watch the boats go by.

Houston has a great children's museum, the Cockrell Butterfly museum and the zoo.

You could always do a day trip to Galveston if the weather is nice and warm.

Welcome to Texas!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are some must sees in Galveston in mid-February

I don't think there is any reason to cancel the trip because of Mardi Gras. As Octoboy noted, Galveston is much tamer than New Orleans. MUCH. They are trying to up the celebrations a bit with ticketed parties at various locations on The Strand, and these do involve a bit of drinking and large crowds, but most of the activity is centered in that area. There are parades that run along Seawall Blvd., which may actually be fun for the kid, and a carnival. You can find all of the relevant information here - http://www.mardigrasgalveston.com/

4. Re: What are some must sees in Galveston in mid-February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2013, 10:20