We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Granger, Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Our tropical vacation plans are being derailed because my husband has a conference in Houston the week of spring break. I thought of Galveston as a possible vacation spot as an alternative. I have never been to the Texas coast & have no idea what to expect. Our kids love to swim. We'd love to have dolphin interactions. My husband loves to scuba dive. We'd love a catamarran cruise. I don't know if these things are possible in Galveston at all, let alone in March. We'd want to stay at a family friendly resort with lots of activities. Is this do-able or should we scratch the idea at this time?

Granger, Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

I forgot to mention our kids are 5 and 7.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Lots of things to do in Houston and Galveston.

Granted Galveston can get crazy at times for Spring Break. Most important, book your Galveston hotel now. Hotel Galvez, San Luis, Hilton and Holiday Inn Resort are all nice and along the seawall. You could also stay at Moody Gardens Hotel, next to Schlitterbahn waterpark and Moody Gardens. Your kids will love Schlitterbahn and Moody Gardens. If you have to chose one over the other, I vote for Schlitterbahn.

Dolphins can be spotted while riding the ferry over to Bolivar Peninsula. You can drive on or walk on to ride across. Bring some bread and feed the seagulls.

Stewart Beach would be a good place for beach time, they have concessions and bathrooms.

Kemah Boardwalk, which is in Kemah, halfway between Houston and Galveston, would be another place for the kids. http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

Houston has the zoo, children's museums and other places for y'all to visit while in the city. Skip the Aquarium though because it's over priced and more of a restaurant than an actual aquarium.

Not sure about the catamaran or scuba. The waters aren't clear like Florida, so you'd have to go pretty far offshore for scuba.

Welcome to Texas!!

Edited: 05 January 2012, 20:58
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,615 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

There are some ferries to ride

Louisville, Kentucky
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

My husband and I went to Galveston recently thinking we would check it out for possible vacation with kids later, we were very disappointed, the Port Bolivar ferry ride was nice, a good way to see the dolphins but the city itself was very run-down, hard to find a nice place to eat and my husband got a ticket for going "56" mph on a deserted stretch of highway by a sarcastic cop who told us to "have a nice trip", we will definitely not go there again! p.s. don't worry--they conveniently have a "bribe" clause for the ticket, pay a little extra now and it won't go on your record! I guess this is how they "line their pockets" in Galveston :(

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Another thing to think about is the weather is usually not the best at spring break here. The past couple of years we have gone camping during spring break here in South Texas and a cold front come in everytime! Also lots of rain along with it usually.. It can get very cold and especially on the beach.

Galveston
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Galveston hasn't been "crazy" for Spring Break in years. We are very much a FAMILY-FRIENDLY Spring Break destination, and you won't see any wild "Ft. Lauderdale-esque" events. Come on down!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

you should be able to do a day trip to the Houston Space Center - it is a great day with the kids. I am not much "into" space, but have gone twice with kids ages 7-18 yrs old and everyone loved it.

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Hi Thinking about coming down for Spring Break to vistit the pleasure peir and do a little fishing! PLease advise me now if the weather here is not good for this typle of weekend get away because WE can do without another disaster trip! I know that they have dolphins and other fun things for kids I am just trying to create memories on a budget not to mention my oldest will be celebrating his 11th birthday during the visit. I need as much info as possible our spring break starts on March 8, 2013 thank you.

Santa Fe, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

Galveston is a lot of fun for kids. Moody Gardens is a great place to visit. Schlitterbahn is open on weekends and for Texas kids spring break which is March 10-17. There is also Pleasure Pier but that is a little expensive for what it is. The historical Strand district is amazing, yes it is older and looks "run down" but that is part of the charm. You also have to remember that some places like the Strand were under water because of Hurricane Ike and are still rebuilding.

Have a great time!

10. Re: Spring Break with kids in Galveston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 12:08