We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

Lake Jackson, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

We will be visiting Galveston next week, hoping for good weather. Our main object of attraction is the Bodies Revealed exhibit at Moody Gardens. We've already seen the other Moody Gardens attractions on other visits except for the Paddle Wheel tour ride.

While planning our trip I came across the Bolivar Ferry too. Now I'm wondering if doing both will be too much? Im thinking so since they are both about an hour each. Besides cost, if you've done both, which would you recommend? We are two adults and 2 boys (teenager and a pre-teen.)

I am kind of leaning toward the Paddle Wheel as it might be a bit more attractive as far as walking around the boat. Not sure if there is anything to do on it. THANKS!

Orange
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

Not sure if one is better than the other. The ferry is free and often times you are able to see dolphins and feed seagulls. It's been a long time since I rode on the paddlewheel but I don't remember it being that impressive

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

Ferry for sure as it is free. The actual ferry ride is about 15 mts each way but actual time to get in will depend on how busy it is. I have done several paddlewheel trips in different places over the years and the last time (in New Orleans) I said never ever. To me it is just expensive and not all that great now - but I did enjoy it back in the days.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

You can also walk around on the ferry, from the front to back, as well as on the upper deck.

Plus, you see the big freighters going by and other boats. If you choose to drive onto the ferry and drive around Bolivar Peninsula, you will see the destruction from Hurricane Ike and explore the remains of Fort Travis.

Something else your boy's may enjoy, a visit to Seawolf Park.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

Do both if you have the time. The ferry is free and crosses the Bolivar Road which is the shipping lane coming into Galveston Bay to the Bolivar Peninsula. You see different things on the two trips.

The Colonel goes around the Bay itself, and not out into the shipping channel. Both are interesting, but one is free!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

The Colonel Paddlewheel is fun if you want to sit and relax and take in the views of this little part of the bay. I like taking the ferry over to Boliver. Keep in mind that Hurricane Ike damaged it bad. It looked like the moon afterwards and many houses and slabs were completely gone. Many homes have been rebuilt and Crystal Beach is coming back. Drive down to Stingaree Marina for some awesome seafood and to watch the boats go by on the Intercoastal! Take bread and feed the seagulls off the BACK of the ferry.Have a blast! …citysearch.com/profile/10036538/crystal_bea…

6. Re: Bolivar Ferry or Colonel Paddlewheel - or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:43