We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need HONEST answers from the locals...

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
C J
Dallas
1 post
Save Topic
Need HONEST answers from the locals...

We booked a room at the HI SunSpree in June. We are a couple in our 50's with no kids, and after reading about the "party" atmosphere of the hotel and the "dicey" neighborhood, began to wonder if all of Galveston is a party town aimed at younger people or did we just pick the WORST spot to stay?

And, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice, quiet, relaxing beachfront hotel for 4 nights in June?

Thanks to everyone who responds.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

It's probably a "party" hotel because it's located near the "party beaches", on the eastern end .

I would advise you to stay at Hotel Galvez, Hilton or San Luis if you want to avoid that scene, if the prices are right for you.

Holiday Inn Resort and Country Inn and Suites would be my alternate choices and probably have lower rates.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

I'm not a local, but I totally agree. If you can manage it, I vote for Hotel Galvez.

Ville Platte...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

Hotel Galvez is the best,, with the San Luis a close second!!

Texas
Level Contributor
532 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

We only rent a condo through an owner on vrbo.com...definitely the better way to go.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

If I wrote for the tourism board of Galveston beaches, I would say "Galveston, it will do."

I only go to the beaches because it is closest to Houston. My suggestion to you is go to Florida. But if you have to be in Galveston, rent a condo on the beach away from the hubbub.

Texas
Level Contributor
532 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

check out Diamond Beach condos...new and the island's newest attempt at 'luxury".

Galvez is nice but has zero balconies.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 01:39
Nacogdoches, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

If you don't necessarily have to be on the Seawall the Tremont House in Strand area sounds perfect for you. It is a very nice historic hotel - has a nice bar on the rooftop - walking distance to great restaurants and shops downtown and has a shuttle that runs all day which drop you off and picks you up at the Galvez on the seawall with swimming pool rights at the Galvez - their sister hotel. We stayed there about a year and half ago and were very pleased. We do have children but there were not too many there. TIP: If you go to priceline.com and choose the name your own price and choose a 3 1/2 or 4 star hotel - more than likely this is the hotel you will get.

Nacogdoches, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

Edited: 25 May 2012, 02:19
Nacogdoches, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

And also, I would not say that Galveston is a party town aimed at younger crowd. It is more of a family town. There is the beach on the very eastern end where drinking is allowed on the beach but it is not allowed anywhere else on the beaches - not to say people don't drink on the beach but the only area that has open drinking and partying is the East End. The SunSpree does have the Tiki Bar which aims to attract partyers.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need HONEST answers from the locals...

If you don't have to be ON the beach, consider a bed and breakfast. Nice quiet atmosphere, great breakfast, historic homes, usually more amenities than a hotel at a cheaper rate, and just a more memorable experience. There are several on the Island - check here on TA for reviews