We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston To Galveston ( Going off the highway) - 1 day

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Houston To Galveston ( Going off the highway) - 1 day

Hello !,

I am planning a one day return trip from Houston to Galveston. This will be a one day return trip. While going, I am avoiding I45. Instead, I am taking the country route to go to Galveston.

The planned route is :

http://goo.gl/maps/tIRxU

Need some advice, if the road outlined is good for rental car drive. We are two people and I will be driving all the time.

I have heard that at some of the places you need to get your car on ferry and cross to the island?

Also, We have decided to go to East Beach. Plan is to start in the morning. get to the beach by noon.

Any good place to have lunch? Any vegetarian option?

Can we get cheap shack or temporary rooms for 3-4 hours just for taking bath and changing cloths?

While returning We will take I 45 to reach home early avoiding the rush hour.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
East Beach
East Beach
160 Reviews
Galveston Island, TX
Texas
Level Contributor
579 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston To Galveston ( Going off the highway) - 1 day

If your goal is east beach you are def taking the long way. First beach you'll actually hit is Surfside, then up the coast toward Galveston/East beach. If you wanted to go the more eastern route, which we did, you can hit Kemah Boardwalk on the way down. We did hit 45 eventually, but way south of Houston, and the drive to Galveston was less than 30 minutes from that point.

Just a suggestion. have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
East Beach
East Beach
160 Reviews
Galveston Island, TX
Kemah Boardwalk
Kemah Boardwalk
1,924 Reviews
Kemah, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston To Galveston ( Going off the highway) - 1 day

Thanks for your reply!!

Was just checking out some reviews for East Beach - people are of the opinion that there are no showers, restrooms to use on this beach. (saying, many got devastated in Ike).

Which beach would you suggest, me and my friend are in their late 20s.

I was checking out Stewart beach also, but lots of people say you will find only kids there building sand castles.!

Mentioned in this post
East Beach
East Beach
160 Reviews
Galveston Island, TX
Stewart Beach
Stewart Beach
295 Reviews
Galveston Island, TX
Texas
Level Contributor
579 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston To Galveston ( Going off the highway) - 1 day

Stewart Beach is not free, but $10 to park, and yes, there are lots of families. But that's not to say you wouldn't enjoy it. They also have several volleyball nets set up, so you've got a good chance to meet some young players :) The two advantages to Stewart Beach is the large clubhouse with facilities, food, etc. and the fact that they rake the sand of seaweed.

We have kids, and typically stay on west beach somewhere...we rent a house and prefer to be away from the crowds. Never done east beach so I can't really comment. You can also just park along seawall for free, and walk until you find a nice spot.

Mentioned in this post
Stewart Beach
Stewart Beach
295 Reviews
Galveston Island, TX
4. Re: Houston To Galveston ( Going off the highway) - 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 10:17