We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the difference?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
742 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What's the difference?

Hi all,

Visiting Galveston for 2 nights before our cruise in May 2013.

Can anybody please advise me on what is so different between staying in Galveston or on the island?

We are interested in a bit of sightseeing and shopping before boarding our ship.

Thanks very much in advance.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the difference?

They are one and the same really. If you are referring to TA's goofy forums, I'm not sure why they have that distinction. I guess the "Island" stretches on south - lots of condos and beach.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the difference?

Galveston Island is connected to the mainland by a big bridge and a ferry to the Bolivar peninsula. The city of Galveston is on Galveston Island. You will have shopping and restaurants in Galveston. There are sections of the island that are out of the Galveston city limits and those areas have limited shopping, groceries, gas, etc. compared to the city of Galveston. They are mainly small beach communities with summer beach rentals and condos.

Hope that helps.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
742 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the difference?

That's brilliant, thanks so much both.

4. Re: What's the difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 18:19