We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation question

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
transportation question

I'm flying from Phoenix for a cruise out of Galveston in Dec. What's best? To fly into Houston and get a smaller flight to Galvestor or fly into Houston and get a shuttle of some kind (which one) to Galveston? Would appreciate some advice.

Cool Tours LLC
Historical & Heritage Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation question

Here is info on shuttles:

www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=50

houston24hourairportlimo.com/cruise.html

supershuttle.com/Locations/IAHAirportShuttle…

Galveston, Texas...
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation question

The best way to go would be catching a shuttle to Galveston. Enjoy your trip, and welcome to Galveston Island!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation question

You can flight into Houston (IAH) Airport, stay overnight and use a shuttle company to Galveston like Vista Shuttles, Super Shuttle etc.

Mt.Orab,Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation question

I have the same question. How much is the cost of the shuttle for two people? Is it cheaper to rent a car in Houston and drop it off in Galveston? Also, it look like Galveston is a fun place to spend the day before setting off on the cruise, why are you suggesting to spend the night in Houston? I'm asking because I have a choice between two cruises and this makes a difference.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation question

I'm sorry I don't understand your question:

Is it cheaper to rent a car in Hou and drop it off in Galv?

How would you get back to Hou if you did a one way drop?

If I misunderstood and you are dropping it in the cruise remote lot then you will pay more in the end for the daily parking fee plus the car rental and all it's taxes tacked on than you would an airport shuttle mentioned above.

As for spending the night option. Galveston is a very small island and you can see and eat your way around easily in one day. Some folks enjoy doing that days before ship sails or after they come back. Galveston has no public transportation except cabs so alot of people stay down the street from the ship dock in an area called The Strand. There is a lovely hotel there called the Treemont. That would easily keep you busy with leisurely dining, browsing the shops and walking here and there. Old homes are close by and fun to look at too. It's just an option they tossed out to you.

If you did want to go out to Seawall Blvd. a cab roundtrip from The Strand would still be lower than car rental.

http://www.thestrand.com

Edited: 07 January 2013, 03:04
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation question

I've just used the services of Vista Shuttles LLC and the service and price was perfect! We were a group of 6 and Mario picked us up in Houston to bring us to Galveston and then the other way around. I highly recommend him.

7. Re: transportation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:18