We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

louisiana
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

hello,

my family and I are leaving for a cruise in june. we are wanting to stay at a nice hotel with a decent price. i have been reading alot of reviews and it seems that galveston is not a safe city. i have 2 kides so i want a safe hotel but not pay $200.00 for just 1 night. does anyone know about the ramada inn, how is that hotel? any suggestions would be appreciated. also, there are alot of hotels that will not accept a 1 night rental.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

I feel Galveston is safe enough, it's just like any other city, just use common sense! Two really nice hotels are the Wyndham Tremont House near the Strand and cruise port area, the other is the San Luis Hotel on the Seawall. Alternatives I would suggest, the Hilton or the new La Quinta Inns and Suites or the new Comfort Suites, both along the Seawall also.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

Sorichard, a place that my family has stayed many times is at the Casa Del Mar. It is on the seawall across the street from the beach (there's a stop light there which makes it easier to cross to the beach). There is a small living room with a sofa that makes out into a bed, a balcony large enough for several people to sit on, a separate bedroom for the adults, and bunkbeds in the hallway for the children. There is also a small kitchen if you choose to make breakfast or lunch and save a little money on eatting out.

It is clean, convenient to the beach and also has two swimming pools - one heated and one not heated. We have always found the price to be good and we have enough room so that you don't feel claustrophobic as in some hotel rooms.

I have been going to Galveston my entire life (40 plus years), and have never felt unsafe. I have walked on the seawall with my family early in the morning (lots of joggers and roller-bladers), and in the evenings to enjoy the cooler sea air. It may be that ignorance is bliss, but I always have a great time in the old town!

louisiana
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

thanks for the post, but i called and they only book 2 nights or more not just one night. we are only wanting 1 night before we leave for the cruise. actually, all the nicer places are either 2 nights or 200.00 or more for 1 night. the only hotels that have availability for the 1 night is the ramada inn, laquinta inn (not the 1 with the suites), the days inn off the interstate, the best western and the econo lodge. do you know about any of these places? i was told the days inn is nice but it is not on the sea wall, but that is not a big thing for us. any more info wouild be appreciated.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

Sorichard, I looked at the hotel section of this forum and saw that the Quality Inn and Suites got very good reviews from people staying there, and several said that they were staying only one night before a cruise. It is on the seawall and is fairly new. You could check out the reviews and see pictures of the place.

I also noticed that the Super 8 Motel (average price $116 per night) was listed. This is very close to the beach (less than a block) and is also fairly new. I remember seeing it go up about two or three years ago.

I'm unfamiliar with any of the motels you named.

Good luck. Are you cruising to Cozumel? That's one of my favorite places to snorkel!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

I just booked a room at the Harbor House hotel for $95/night in August. I've stayed at this hotel before and it was absolutely fantastic. Although, I've never been there for the cruises, the ships dock just blocks away from it.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

Sorry but in general Galveston leaves a lot to be desired after dark. Use your common sense and stay at a decent hotel and go to nearby restaurants -- if they aren't next door, then drive over to them if you stay at a hotel along the seawall. If you stay at a hotel in the Strand area or in the Harbor area then you are safe to walk around the Strand at night.

During the daytime the city is fine to walk along the seawall to local shops and restaurants but at night I wouldn't be strolling around Galveston or walking on the beach after dark.

The Strand district is find to walk around in the evening.

louisiana
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

where is the harbor or strand area? do you know any hotels in that area? how about the days inn (by the interstate), is that located in a good area?

thanks

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

From I-45 you can take Harborside Drive (left) and it will run straight to the cruise terminal and just beyond that you'll have the Harbor area on your left and The Strand on your right. The Strand is basically a tourist area with restaurants, shops, etc.

A hotel on the Seawall would be good if you are looking for a decent price. Galveston has its good and its bad areas -- you just need to stay in the touristy areas. Use your good judgement and don't be wandering around by foot in the evening unless you are in the immediate vicinity of your hotel.

Go to www.galveston.com and look at their tourist site and then read the trip advisor reviews for whatever hotel you choose. Is the Ramada Inn you are thinking about on the Seawall? -- it may be a fairly new one and probably fairly nice.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

THe previous posters price for the Harbor House sounds reasonable but not sure what price range you are looking for.

louisiana
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: nice inexpensive hotel to stay before cruise

thanks for all the info but the problem i am having is that alot of the nicer hotels are does not take 1 night booking thre is a 2 day minimum on the weekends. and the ones that are doing 1 night is 200.00 or more a night. i am looking at the days inn , off the interstate before getting in galveston). i also saw that there is a howard johnson on harbor drive. i saw that ramada did not have good reviews.

thanks