We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Grand Opera and lodging nearby?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
99 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Grand Opera and lodging nearby?

Just my husband and.i Are going to Galveston in May for an event on Saturday night at grand opera

Any suggestions for a place to stay nearby in the $ 125 to 150 range? We want a place for Friday and Saturday night. Open to motels or even b&b.

Is the neighborhood safe to walk around at night?

I've thought of staying in Texas City and driving to the Grand, but Texas City doesn't seem too convenient?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Grand Opera and lodging nearby?

The Tremont House and Harbor House are close. There are probably some B&B's there too, but not familiar with them. Most other hotels are a short drive away along the Seawall.

Weekends are expensive in Galveston, but there are hotels for all price points.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 15:43
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Grand Opera and lodging nearby?

knr has given you the only two hotels within walking distance of the 1894 Grand Opera House (at least the ones I'm familiar with). The area is relatively safe to walk around at night, especially on weekends, but always keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings.

I see no reason to stay in Texas City, when Galveston has so many hotels in all price ranges, as knr points out. Driving time from The Strand to Seawall Blvd. can be as little as 6-7 minutes, or as long as about 12-13 minutes. Galveston offers much more to see and do than does Texas City.

Have a great time!

3. Re: Going to Grand Opera and lodging nearby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Galveston