We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galveston in February

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denver, co
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Galveston in February

We will be travelling to Galveston 2/22-2/27/2007 to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Saw an article and it sounds like an interesting area with many things we enjoy. Can someone recommend a hotel with really good gulf view - we really don't care about beachfront, but would enjoy watching boats and ships on the harbor. Also local restaurants. Weather that time of the year? Anything that someone who lives there finds a "must" see or do. We look forward to the victorian architecture and such.

Thanks

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galveston in February

There is alot of information at galveston.com for you.

Weather can be warm, mild or cold, and it can change daily. This is really hard to predict.

None of the hotels are on the water, but some really nice ones with gulf views would be the San Luis or the Hilton. A nice hotel near the Strand, where the ships pass by or dock would be the Wyndham Tremont Hotel, although these are not gulf views.

I would recommend a tour of the historical part of the island, or drive thru on your own, there are some beautiful places here.

Happy Anniversary!!

denver, co
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galveston in February

Thank you for the response. We will have a car and look forward to some interesting drives. Do you know anything about the Harbor House at Pier 21?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galveston in February

No, I don't personally know anything about the Harbor House, sorry.

Texas Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galveston in February

knr is right on. We live near Galveston, and February is a great time to visit. Some attractions may not be open, or have shorter hours, but there will also be no crowds. Your winter gear will be way more than enough to handle anything Galveston can throw at you. And if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it will change. ;-)

I really enjoy the Strand area for history. The hotels there will be in the "heart" of the city, and very near the harbour. Haven't ever been there, but the Harbor House looked pretty neat to me on the internet. You can easily spend a day just browsing the Strand.

Be sure to check out tours of the Elissa Flagship, Moody Mansion and Bishops Palace if you're into architecture. Galveston is rich in history & such.

Hotels along the seawall are great, but you really won't see a lot of ships or boats, etc.... just a great view of the Gulf. In fact, the Flagship hotel is actually built out over the Gulf!

Great that you'll have a car. You might want to try a day in Kemah, just up the road. They have a great boardwalk, with lots of places to enjoy a meal, some shopping, etc. Again, some smaller shops will be closed, but there's still plenty to see and enjoy.

For some waterfront adventure, catch the ferry at Boliver Penninsula. You can feed the seagulls off the Back of the ferry. It's a short excursion, but you have to say you did it.

For a longer day excursion, take Blue Water Highway (to the South), to Surfide Beach. It's a Gulf View all the way. Surfside has a nice jetty and park area for walks. For hamburgers, you can try the Purple Cow in Surfside, but if you want reasonably priced Great Seafood, try Windswept Restaurant in Oyster Creek. Oyster Creek is near Surfside, and the restaurant is "tucked in" off the main drag. It's worth the extra seven minutes up the road & around the corner.

Also in that area (Lake Jackson) is Sea Center Texas. …state.tx.us/spdest/visitorcenters/seacenter/ . It's not architectural, but it's a magnificant display and working fisheries center of our Gulf Coast area. The people there are super friendly. Oh, yeah, and it's Free.

Hope you have a wonderful anniversary trip, and congratulations!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galveston in February

Congratulations on 40 years ! There are two sides to the island.Beach side and harbor side.Personally, i prefer not to stay on the beach (seawall) side,but rather the harbor and pier side.The Strand historical district with all its shops,trolley cars,horse drawn carriages are all there. You can see the tall ship Alyssa and of course the huge cruise ships if you are there on a Sunday. Weather at that time could be cool and wet or 75 degrees and sunny,who knows ,it's Texas!The Harbor house is nice and on the harbor, two blocks over and down the street is the Tremont hotel by Wyndam.I have stayed at both and would reccomend either.The Tremont is more upscale but both will run about 150.00-200.00 per night.the latter being the Tremont. Both can be booked by Wyndam Hotels.There are chain seafood restaurants close by ,but you might try the Saltwater grill on Post Office street.The historic home tours are worth a look. Do check out Moody Gardens complex on the west end of the island.You will love Galveston and probably be back,

Houston
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galveston in February

For a romantic restaurant that is off the beaten path try Pics on 45th. Excellent and romantic. Small and casually elegant. You'll have to drive there from wherever you are staying. You can look them up at www.picson45th.com. Owner keeps the menu small and classically based.

The owner also highly recommended that we go have a cocktail at the bar on top of the Tremont - he says it is the best for view, etc. Haven't tried it yet but it was recommended by a Galvestonian.

denver, co
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galveston in February

Does anyone know if there is a Panera Bread or Olive Garden in

Galveston or close by?

Houston
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galveston in February

The nearest Olive Garden that I know of is in Texas City near Mall of the Mainland. I don't believe there is a Panera Bread in Galveston yet.

denver, co
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galveston in February

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. We had a wonderful time in Galveston. The Harbor House turned out to be just fabulous. Very, very clean with a great manager and staff. I would highly recommend it. Was a bit disappointd in Casey's although it was okay. Ditto the Spot. Ended up going to Clary's for our anniversary dinner and it was perfect - great food and service. Kemah was nice - we enjoyed sitting on the pier and watching the sailboats. Took the seawall all the way to the toll road and drove around some of the subdivisions which we enjoyed immensely - took some numbers for vacation rentals. Moody Mansion was a disappointment, but Bishop's Palace was great. The thing that impressed us both the most was the helpfulness and friendliness of everyone we met. Texans are truly among the nicest people we have met in all of our travels, Thank You All!!!

Houston
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galveston in February

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip for your 40th anniversary - that is definitely a special event!