We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

Great Britain
6 posts
Save Topic
Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

Hi folks

We are from Scotland and are coming over in April to check out holiday homes/apartments. Any tips on best areas to start looking at?. I'd like to be able to do some research before our trip.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

there's a variety of new projects going up in galveston. on the east end, there's several high rise towers happening, and on the extreme west end some master planned communities. it's booming right now.

Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

I would like to ask if there is any specific reason that you are looking at Galveston or would you be open to other areas of Texas? Also, what type of activities are you intrested in? Depending on what your intrests are, you may find that the Corpus Christi, Texas area may meet a wider variety of your needs. Just my opinion...

Mentioned in this post
Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

Hi Amadarling

We are looking into buying a beach home in Galveston and will also be there in April 2005 to take a better look

We are originaly from the U K (Lancashire)but have been living in New Jersey U S for the last 3 years I have done quite a lot of research into buying in Galveston not sure how much info you have let me know if you wish to share information

Mentioned in this post
Lancashire
Lancashire
England, UK
ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

your areas would be west of galveston, when the seawall turns into fm 3005 for a single family home. lots of growth on the extreme west end at San Luis bridge area. popular areas are pirates beach and jamaica beach. as far as condos go. new condos are sprouting everywhere, there's a boom of construction going on near the east end. be very careful and choose wisely, galveston, like houston, can be a dicey investment choice.. let me know if i can help.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

Hi Ted

Would you say that there is a lot of outside tourism in Galveston or is it mainly local people from Texas we are looking into buying a beach house as a possible rental investment as well as for our own use

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

Galveston's not a national destination, most of the folks I've run into there are from Texas, Louisiana, and other states close by where folks are looking for a beach. Also, Galveston is a port city where folks catch ships, but the impression I have is most of those do day transfers from Houston and don't really sight see / hang around in Galveston.

Mentioned in this post
Louisiana
Louisiana
United States
ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

no, galveston's not a national destination, but with a city of 6 million people an hour away, how long can it sit without alot of development? it's booming now, 3-4 major high rises going up on the east tip of the island, and 2 major planned communities coming on the extreme west end. and don't forget the gambling wild card, it's only a matter of time...lots of major national homebuilders and players in there now, like Centex. you do the math......oh yeah, they're modeling much of their development style on the megasuccessful Seaside FL concept...

Mentioned in this post
Seaside
Seaside
Florida Panhandle, FL
Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

Thanks for the info looking forward to our visit in April

Take Care

ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

let me know if i can be of assistance. i've been in real estate in houston for 20 years, and used to own a condo on the west end of galveston.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scottish family to buy vacation home in galveston area...

Will do Thanks once again