We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Georgetown trip report

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Short Georgetown trip report

My sister and her family live in Georgetown so we visit there several times a year but Christmas time is special (for everyone of course). The courthouse and square is lit up and decorated, there are fun events and plenty of shopping.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express right off of I-35, not usually my favorite location. However, we had a good experience last year and the HIE was good again this year. Separate review posted. Restaurant highlights included Uptown Social , Gumbo's and Longhorn Steakhouse. Again, separate reviews but I would recommend all of them.

If you are ever visiting the Austin area and want to see how well a town can maintain its downtown in the face of expansion, check out Georgetown. Lots of places to eat, drink and shop.

www.visit.georgetown.org

www.TheUptownSocial.com

www.Gumbos.com

www.longhornsteakhouse.com

3 replies to this topic
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Georgetown trip report

Thanks for posting. Haven't been to Georgetown in a while--will have to check it out again soon.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Georgetown trip report

Thanks PoodleOne for nice review. I have lived in GT 3 years and love it. It is so true how GT has managed to develop and keep an awesome downtown square with thriving businesses and restaurants and new ones coming all the time. We also opened our beautiful new Art Center in Sept and it will be a big draw for "daytrippers" to come visit us.

Not only are there shops on the square, but blocks behind and 4 blocks away. Makes for fun day out.

We have always been famous for The Monument Cafe, but now those owners have opened El Monumento (interior Mexican) 4 blocks away on a small cliff overlooking a creek. You can dine inside, on deck overlooking the creek or on beautiful landscaped patio. On the casual side we have a new Hat Creek Burger with playscape for kids, wine shops, cupcakes, sweets, coffee shop, Gumbo's, Wildfire, The Hollow, Ruby K's (country cooking), Thai, University Burgers, Uptown (rooftop bar), Dos Salsa's Tex Mex and much more. Here is link:

https://visit.georgetown.org

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Georgetown trip report

Georgetowngal- I thought about you when I was there, especially when I saw the TA symbol on the door of Uptown Social ;-)

Reply to: Short Georgetown trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Georgetown