We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice day out

Which Gladewater hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Nice day out

Enjoyed a day at the Gladewater Arts and Crafts show--small but really friendly vendors,

Had lunch at the Fork downtown. Very good --good family prices, menu. Kids had grilled cheese and adults enjoyed old fahioned hamburgers. Will return!!

Edited: 19 September 2011, 14:09
9 replies to this topic
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice day out

You are so good about reviewing East Texas places that don't get much notice. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice day out

I agree, you are so good about giving reviews to us. Thanks so much. You really seem to be getting out and about. Glad you are enjoying it!

Other places close to your neck of the woods that you might like to check out with the grandkids:

Kilgore Oil Museum http://www.easttexasoilmuseum.com/

Rusk State Railroad http://www.texasstaterr.com/

The Peanut Butter Emporium in Overton, Texas. Their peanut butter pie is to die for.

I haven't been to the London Museum and Tea Room in New London, but I have heard wonderful things about it. I don't know that this one would be something the grandkids would enjoy, but y'all might. Would love to hear a report on it if you try it out!

Edited: 19 September 2011, 19:33
Texas
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice day out

Oops, I meant the Texas State Railroad in Rusk.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice day out

Overton has a great pizza place---AJ's and we found but didn't go in,Pat's BBQ on the way home from Gladewater. It was mentioned in the Dallas paper

I am sure i won't be able to avoid The Polar Express at the railroad!!!

I think the peanut butter emporium is closed. Fire?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice day out

Oh that's a bummer about the Peanut Butter Emporium. I haven't been out that way in a while, but they sure were good.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice day out

So we did return to Gladewater on Sat for lunch at the Fork and a visit to many of the dozen or so antique stores. All were interesting but one had a lot of Italian "stuff" and was not your usual.

Stopped at a nursery for some trees on the way home!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice day out

Returned to Gladewater for lunch today. We ate lunch for the first time at Taqueria Don Oma. This is a small bldg right by the railroad tracks on Main. The food was delicious and cheap. Brought some tamales home.

We made the rouinds of the shops..a few were closed until Wednesday.

This is a great town for a day out.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice day out

BTW--ate at Mamas Kitchen, north of Henderson on the way to Tatum. Home cooked...i mean.. wait while it's cooked fried chicken special. Very good ... Look hard or you will miss the sign!!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice day out

Wow! I actually remember when you first posted because I had to pull up a map and figure out where Gladewater is. Thanks for always taking the time to post about the smaller out of the way places. Both Mama's and Don Oma sound very good.

Reply to: Nice day out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gladewater
Recent Conversations