We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

Which Grapevine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

It is finally open and we are going to spend the weekend in the indoor waterpark while it is freezing outside. I'll be happy to answer any questions while I'm there and will post a review when I return.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

There are lots of places to eat in and around Grapevine Mills Mall which is just a few blocks away. Our favorite is the Rainforest Cafe inside the mall. Kids eat for .99 on Wednesday.

The cub club is on the lower level. It is rather small and the few children I saw appeared to 5 or younger. They do have storytime by the clock tower in the lobby in the evenings.

The tall slides were scary for even myself. There are slides for every level including very small ones in the toddlers area which is very shallow. Here are some pics I posted on another thread.

picasaweb.google.com/cozbobby0/GreatWolf02

The rooms were very clean...being brand new and all. We had the kids cabin suite which was very roomy and could easily sleep 6. The TV's had Ninetendo game cubes hooked up to them. You call the front desk to order games or movies. The movies were $9.99(ouch!)

We did not rent the games because our kids have not played the old gamecube system in almost a year since the WII and XBOX 360 came out. I thought it was a bad investment for them to install an obsolete game system in a state of the art hotel. The rooms also had a small fridge and microwave. The rooms were not noisy but we laughed while walking down the hall because about every other room you could hear parents yelling at their children.

It's about a 5 min walk back to your room from the water park depending where you are. If you are the first couple of floors it is much easier to take the lobby stairs because the elevators were kind of slow. They had some cabanas, which were tents, in the water park which they will eventually rent but they were not open yet.

One other point about the hotel is that they do not have bellman. They do have luggage carts that you can use though.

Arlington, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

The Rainforest Cafe is a great place for your kids of all ages. My 12 year old daughter loves it there and the 2 times my young son has been he was mesmerized by all the moving animals and music. There are also several restaurants in the area since you are around the mall.

The slides are not tame at all in the general waterpark. My Wife and 12 year old said they were expecting nice calm rides and instead got mouthfulls of water. If your kids are still timid around water, I would highly discourage them trying the slides, but if they have been to a few parks, you could always try it first and see what you think. As for your younger ones, there is a "kiddie park" as Coz has said and it is in a different corner of the room. My Wife and I both took our young son down the little slides and he enjoyed it.

As for the walk back, it's not too bad as long as they have fixed the elevators. They had 2 out of service while we were there and another one was being used exclusively by the engineers to run up and down to fix things. Wait time for an elevator was usually about 2-5 minutes

The rooms are very clean as they are new, and except for the noisy sheets we didn't hear much noise from outside. We had a regular room which slept 6 with the 2 queen beds and the pull out sofa sleeper. We also had them bring up a port-a-crib for the little one and they were very quick about that.

***ONE BIG CAUTION***

If your children have sensitive skin, BEWARE!!! Especially for your little ones. The chlorine levels in the waterpark have been a big problem even after we have been there. I hear daily stories about peoples children getting rashes not only at this location, but at all the Great Wolf locations. They keep the levels high to fight bacteria, which is good, but the downside is that it is not very gentle on your skin.

We hope you have a GREAT TIME, and if we can be of any assistance in your travel needs, please let us know. www.xclusivetripz.com

cortlandt manor, ny
Level Contributor
51 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

I was going to post under hotels but the GWL isn't listed yet so I thought I would do it here. My son and I have been to all of the Lodges so we had to come see this one. I usually son't go to places when they first open but I had the week off. Overall we had a blast but there were some things that weren't perfect but that should get better as time goes on. Checking in was a small problem as the computers were down. I wasn't expecting my room to be ready yet so I just needed my waterpark passes. The rooms aren't usually ready before 4pm and it was only 11. Thats part of the fun-you can play before check in (and stay after you checked out). I had a kid cabin which has the "room" with a bunk bed and a twim. My son loves having his own television. I always bring snacks and stuff and make use of the fridge and microwave. The food prices in the hotel are very expensive and the service is usually slow. It took forever to get our pizza hut. Supplies were a problem(like there was no milk to purchase one morning) Hopefully as they get up and running they won't be running out of things. I also make use of the drying line in the bathroom and the wall safe. The waterpark was awesome and the water was comfortable even for me. My son loved the lights on the howlin tornado. A guard drill was done while I was sitting there. It scared me at first but was reassuring that the guards were paying attention. The cub club is fun if your kids like arts and crafts. My son played Magi quest for hours. It covers 8 floors which I think is a bit much. It also slows down the elevators. I didn't have any major problems-yes I have been through late night firedrills in other lodges-not alot of fun. If your kids like waterparks than this is the place to go. Its weatherproof and its easier than walking around at some of the outdoor waterparks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

Where is this place in relation to the Gaylord or Grapevine Mills Mall?

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

The entrance to the Great Wolf is directly across the street from the Gaylord.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

There was a good honest review of the Camp Critter Bar & Grille in todays Fort Worth Star Telegram in the entertainment section. The writer was Patricia Rodriguez who was a former poster on the Cozumel forum. Her and her huband owned Mesa 17, which was the finest restaurant in Cozumel. They were forced to close and move back to Texas after hurricane Wilma.

Any one thinking about going to the Great Wolf should read this article. Her reviews are always right on the money.

Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

I so agree with relfst. The beds were that of a Motel 6. and what is the deal with not have coffee pots in the rooms? This place is expensive, the food is awful and I think it is terrible to charge $25.00 for the wands and scavenger hunt. That should be included in the high room prices. Now on a high note, the waterpark was good, just long lines on the slides. We were very disappointed with everything except the waterpark. Will not return.............

18. Re: Off to the Great Wolf Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 21:18