We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

Yardley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

My wife and I will be coming to the area and are planning to stay a Friday and Saturday night in the area. Looking to do some sightseeing in both Dallas and Fort Worth and go to the Rodeo in the Stockyards. Hotel rates in Fort worth are currently very high and I got a terrific deal at the Grand Hyatt DFW .I know it is inside the airport.Is it much better to stay in , let's say, Grapevine at the Hilton or is there very little difference in convenience , traffic, and travel time to the 2 cities? Any local insight or suggestions appreciated.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

If you get a great rate at the Grand Hyatt and have a car, I think it would be a good place to be. Although highway construction westbound on 183 (toward FW) is a bit of a mess, it is nothing compared to the nightmare in Grapevine. Things will change between now and summer but I still think staying out of Grapevine for what you are planning is a good idea. As you get closer to your summer trip, post back and get updates on the area and traffic.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

I’m a Grapevine resident and sadly, cannot disagree with poodle!! lol! 114 to the north of DFW airport is in a continued state of nightmarish disarray and is ever-changing on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis. So, the airport location is perfect in that you can be in Dallas or FW in 20-30 minutes. I’d opt to avoid the construction on westbound 183 by taking 360 south (from the airport) to I-30 west into FW.

That said, Grapevine is a very enjoyable small Texas town featuring an approachable and historic Main Street (Grapevine was the original Lonesome Dove) with many unique shops, wine tasting rooms and tours (local wines), a small art community and a good selection of independent restaurants. See “Things To Do” at top of website below.

On the weekends, there an old, vintage train that runs from GV to the FW Stockyards though the evening return schedule may not meet your need and if stranded, taxis are VERY expensive. See “Ride the Train” tab at the middle of web-site.

https:/…Default.aspx

If you want to visit GV, but avoid driving, GV runs a shuttle to the Hyatt DFW - the final run is around 10pm. See left sidebar for specific info at:

https:/…Default.aspx

If you prefer to drive, you can avoid the “great unknown of 114” thusly: Depart the airport using the north exit. As you approach the airport toll booths, move to the right lanes. Immediately past the booths, exit right to Airfield Dr West. Continue west on Airfield Dr about 3-4 miles (and I think 3 traffic lights) to Main Street. Take a right (north), cross over the demolition of 114 and continue into downtown.

(For any locals, this section of “Airfield Drive” is new, and becomes the existing Mustang Drive (behind Tinseltown) which crosses 121 just south of 114. This is an effective east/west detour to avoid 114 through Grapevine to Freeport Dr, east of the Airport - though during rush hour, it can be very crowded).

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

Good hint on the Airfield Drive alternative route. All of us who run around up that way need to keep it in mind.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

The Grand Hyatt is a nice hotel, but about the last place I would choose for a weekend stay in the middle of all that concrete. There are many hotels around DFW airport and in Arlington if you're wanting to stay midway between the two cities including several near the South entrance away from the road construction on the North side. Use a search site like hotels.com or booking.com to check them out. Frankly, I would pay more to stay in the Stockyards or close by and enjoy the scene after the rodeo than run the risk however small of encountering a drunk and/or reckless driver out on the freeways late on a weekend night. Have you thought of a night in FW and a night in Dallas?

Yardley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

Thanks to everyone for your input. I liked the looks of the Grand Hyatt but as texthils felt wasn't crazy about staying in an airport. This is actually only the first 2 days of a week long car trip up to Kansas City and back to DFW. Perhaps the hotel rates in Fort Worth may get better closer to the summer and we will look to stay either downtown or in the Stockyards. We got really good rates at top hotels in Oklahoma City and Kansas City but somehow Fort Worth prices rival New York City hotels, at least right now. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

A couple of things to consider for downtown FW- Priceline and Etta's Place, a great bed and breakfast in Sundance Square. Take a look at Better Bidding to see what kind of prices folks have been getting on Priceline or Hotwire.

http://www.betterbidding.com/

http://www.ettas-place.com/

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

When is your trip? There's a NASCAR weekend in June that ties up hotels and pushes up rates.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
148 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

Trip is in mid July, so not Nascar's doing. Could be just a bit too early for any rate decreases, so hoping things will change.

9. Re: Summer stay between Dallas and fort worth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:18