We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

Hi all,

Just planning a 2 week visit to Houston end of March and looking at flights, I can get a return flight from Manchester [UK] for £335 return [inc all fees] via a website called Travel Trolley, or £387 direct from Singapore Airlines - are flights normally this cheap or am I missing something very obvious - I don't normally though?

Thanks

Alun

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Special Offer
Space Center Houston Admission
from US$24.95*
US$29.95
NASA's Space Center Houston and City...
182 Reviews
from US$79.95*
Free Cancellation
Houston CityPASS
47 Reviews
from US$59.00*
Free Cancellation
11 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

A thread began three days ago referencing Austin-Singapore for $600. No one had any insight. Just one of the mysteries of airfares. But I think they ran a sale about this time last year, also.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

Quite a deal and you can't go wrong flying Singapore Airlines. To top it off March is an excellent time to visit Texas, good weather and the rodeo in Houston is going on the FIRST half of the month.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

If you scan through the Air Travel Forum, there are countless comments about problems with third party sellers. Be very careful, and preferably book only through the airline website. There are a lot of scam artists in the travel business.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

It's still a fairly new route and it is cheap. Was advertising heavily on local radio around launch time last year.

If the destination suits you I would go ahead and book while prices are so good.

We are doing a Texas trip soon and have ended up paying quite a lot more to fly to Dallas but it made sense for the itinerary we had planned.

Great that the options from Manchester increase every year as it's our local airport!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

I have booked this flight for 9th September so will feed back if all is good. I booked with Expedia for a similar price so looks like a genuinely good deal

lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

I booked man- Hou at the beginning of July - for Easter hols 2018. £1520 for 3 adults (eldest is 13) and 1 child.

Absolute bargain, I did do a fair bit of research & decided to book directly with Singapore Airlines, even though it was a few quid more than with 'cheap flight' websites.

Includes all meal & sort drinks and TWO 23kg cases each !!!

Go for it

Mentioned in this post
Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport
Houston, TX
lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

I booked man- Hou at the beginning of July - for Easter hols 2018. £1520 for 3 adults (eldest is 13) and 1 child.

Absolute bargain, I did do a fair bit of research & decided to book directly with Singapore Airlines, even though it was a few quid more than with 'cheap flight' websites.

Includes all meal & sort drinks and TWO 23kg cases each !!!

Go for it

Mentioned in this post
Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport
Houston, TX
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

I can report back that this was one of the best flights I have done from the UK to the US. Great food and entertainment had good films. Staff were very polite and helpful. Check in was quick and luggage allowance great. They make their money on the Singapore leg of the journey I am assuming so man to iah is a cheap extra. Will be booking again next year hope prices hold.

Edited: 15 October 2017, 08:25
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

I don't know the politics of it all but it's very lucky for UK passengers wanting to go to Texas, I gather Manchester was chosen as they layover between Singapore and Houston which is obviously an important business route, I believe the layover used to be in Russia somewhere?? I discovered it via Holiday Pirates and booked direct with SA months ago, we fly this week, the prices have been pretty consistent throughout the year so don't think it's a sale price. Considering it's the third rated air line in the world I think it's a bargain, although flights to the US do seem to have gotten cheaper over the last year, I've seen some great deals to the East and West coasts for very reasonable prices, I read somewhere flight prices from the UK have had an impact on the inflation rate.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?

Some excellent feedback, it's very much appreciated.

I booked it pretty soon after my initial post - just checked the price now and it's still only £389.

Bargain!

Thanks again

Reply to: Singapore Airlines - why so cheap?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted