We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
day trips

HI all. I am travelling from New Zealand next year and will be in Houston for a few days at rodeo time. I will do that for a couple of nights and there is a couple of things in the city that I want to do during the day, but wondered if there are some day trips I could do a little further out. Aside from the space centre is there anything that anyone could recommend that would be good to see. Not sure if a day trip to Galvaston is worthwhile? Fort Worth seems like it will be a bit too far away...any 'shouldn't miss' things that anyone can suggest? thanks :-)

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
8 replies to this topic
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips

Galveston will be fine, if you go before Spring Break, which starts roughly March 9th. There is a lot to see and do there. www.galveston.com

Another option would be to head west to San Antonio, the tourism capital of Texas. Also a lot to do there, but not as a day trip.

Welcome to Texas!!

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips

If you have the time, I think Galveston is worth the short drive there and back to Houston. If you do decide to go, do an online search using a phrase similar to "Galveston tree trunk tour." The island lost a lot of trees during Hurricane Ike--many were damaged by winds, others were simply submerged in salt water for too long. Many of the homeowners in the historic district commissioned artists to turn the remaining trunks into sculptures and many are truly works of art. You can drive through or drive to and then walk through the district, looking at the sculptures. There is a good map and descriptions of the sculptures and the story behind them online. You could ride the Bolivar Ferry as a pedestrian and perhaps see some dolphins. Take a tour of the tall ship Elissa. I believe there is also a drilling rig you can tour. Check out the schedule for the Grand Opera House to see if anything is on offer there--it's not just a venue where opera is performed; a variety of things go on there.

You could also drive west along I-10 and visit the painted churches in Schulenburg and then on to Luling for some good BBQ.

You could drive to College Station, home of Texas A&M University and visit the presidential library and museum of President George H.W. Bush.

Fort Worth is too far for a day trip, IMO--the drive there and back wouldn't really give you enough time to appreciate all there is to see and do there.

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips

Great, thanks guys. That has made me decide to definitely go to Galveston. Also, I am heading to San Antonio after Houston. Can't wait, so exited to be coming to Texas to celebrate my big 5 0 !! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips

Medube1--

Kia ora! Here's a great web site to examine now, and from which you can order a free catalog and state map of Texas: www.traveltex.com The web site and catalog will give you lots of suggestions for places/towns/sights to visit while you're in Texas.

Plan on spending a few days in the San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country area--lots of things to do in that area!

Welcome to Texas--a great place to celebrate your birthday!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Austin
Austin
Texas
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips

Kia Ora Gene T !! Thanks for the site www.traveltex.com, some great ideas. So much to do and see, I wish I could extend my trip! :-)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips

If you have any interest at all in the painted churches, Schulenburg is right on your way to San Antonio from Houston.

If your route takes you along I-10 to San Antonio, make sure you stop at Buc-ee's on the south side of the freeway at one of the Luling exits. Very interesting place--huge selection of snack items and beverages, already prepared and freshly made food, a pastries counter, a jerky bar, lots of Texas themed items and gifts, gas station and the cleanest restrooms you will ever see along a highway.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips

Great, thanks, I have jotted down on my 'things to do' list :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips

You might also consider venturing to Kemah southeast of Houston off of I45 a ways. There is a boardwalk there with restaurants and shops. Have dinner on the back porch of one of the restaurants and watch the boats return from the bay at about sunset. There might even be a live band playing if you plan right. I will say this place gets crowded especially around holidays but still nice to watch the boats return from the bay while listening to live music.

Mentioned in this post
Kemah
Kemah
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Reply to: day trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted