We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

I just booked the Hilton Houston Southwest through Priceline and have read bad reviews. Most of the bad reviews are about the safety of the hotel and the area. It sounds like it might be near Sharpstown. Has anyone stayed here? Should I book another hotel in a safer place and take a loss on my Priceline win??

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

It is in the Sharpstown Area. I would not be my first choice of Hilton properties since it is pretty tired and run down. There are some strip clubs in that area and there have been some shootings around there.

I don't want to scare you but that is the case.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

I agree that this is not the best area. I would avoid coming back to your hotel late at night and avoid being by yourself in the parking lot. If the hotel has a valet I would recommend using it to avoid walking to your car by yourself. If you want to go out to eat or go shopping I would avoid the area around your hotel and travel either out 59 toward sugarland or go toward the Galleria. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

Totally agree with the Houstonians above me - the Southwest is not a good part of town at all. In fact, my husband and I have a running joke about our newscasts: anytime they say, "Breaking news!", there's a 90% chance it's happening on the Southwest side of town, and it's probably a shooting. Not a funny joke, I know, but that's the way it is.

Certainly not trying to frighten you, beachlova, but if you can still change your reservation to a safer part of town, you may want to look into it. I've lived here all my life and only venture to that side of town when absolutely necessary.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

Definitely DO NOT stay in the Southwest part of Houston - are there any attractions in particular you are going to be in town to visit - perhaps we can direct you to reasonable priced hotels in the area you plan to visit the most.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

I just wanted to let you know that a friend got held up by gun point last night at a stop light and his car was stolen. Granted, he shouldn't have had his window rolled down in that area and he realizes that now. So I wouldn't stay there if I were you.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

Two years ago, I had to stay at the Hilton Southwest for 2 months, due to a work assignment. I had no incidents, the room was nice, the staff was nice, and I was in my early 20's, female & by myself. There's nothing really there in that area, except for the nearby shopping on Harwin, but it was just a quick drive out to the Galleria area, downtown, or Rice Village areas.

However, I should note that crime has increased greatly in Houston in the last 2 years (increase in population, Katrina related or not), so I would keep that in mind anywhere you stay in Houston.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

I was in Houston last year and was driving to a 24 hour gym, I got my directions mixed up and the streets were isolated. No one else driving, this car turns and follows me. I make a turn, he makes a turn. I come to a red light thinking I'm going to have to run it to get away. Green light, he turns right from the middle lane and is off again. The most scarest I've felt is Houston and Philly. Even NYC and Chicago feel more safe.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

I'm familiar with Sharpstown. I don't know that I would take a loss on it. I'm a single female that travels a lot. But then again, I'm comfortable pretty much anywhere. Just exercise normal precautions. If you think you don't feel safe and you do come to the hotel late at night, call the front desk from your cell and ask for someone to come out and accompany you inside. You can also call the police and ask them to do the same thing. People might think this is strange, but I've done things like that when necessary. And police have encouraged me to do so, emphasizing that that is their job.

I've lived in "SCARY" places and never had any incident. If you use normal precautions everywhere you travel and make good safety practices a habit, you will typically not have any incidents. There are lots of travel sites like Fodor's, AAA, etc. that have general safety tips for travel. You could also google "travel safety" or something similar.

nem
United States
Level Contributor
321 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

BeachLova,

I agree with most of the posters....the Southwest section of Houston is not the safest section of town. Yes, crime happens everywhere these days, but it happens even more in the Sharpstown area. That area has been a major increase of crime and gang related incidence in that area. Usually, the crimes in that area are drug related, but its not worth staying there.

No matter how smart or careful an individual may be, criminals are always 10 steps ahead of the general public including the law.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Hilton Houston Southwest a SCARY place to stay?

"It's not worth staying there."

I completely agree. There are many other, nicer places in Houston to stay.