We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

Arlington, TX
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

Yes, we are traveling to Houston in July... I know, I know the HEAT. But, we are going and wanting to know what family-friendly sites to see in this 4 day venture. We have 2 boys 4 yrs and almost 2 yrs. We are thinking of the Space Center, have heard some about Kemah Boardwalk area, but that's really it. We will want to stay near the baseball field, as we have friends close by we will visit. Any input will be appreciated.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

If you're downtown, the aquarium is interesting for kids that age. It isn't nearly as nice as the one on New Orleans, but it's worthwhile. My daughter (3 at the time) enjoyed it immensely. You have to pay extra for the shark train and the other rides. The zoo isn't bad, but not as nice as the one in FW. Many will recommend the Galleria, but it's just a big damned mall. My daughter did enjoy watching the figure skaters practice as we ate at the Galleria La Madeleine, though. Haven't been to NASA since the 80's, but I loved it then.

Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

I would definitely take the trip down to Kema Boardwalk. Its a bunch of restaurants, carnival stuff, etc, right on the water. You can have fun, eat, and watch all the cool boats come and go. ...as a matter of fact, NASA is right down the road from there too.

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

The Aquarium restaurant is dowtown AND at the boardwalk... fyi. I would eat at the one dowtown one night... and eat somewhere else when you are at the Boardwalk if you go. Plenty of options.

You can also go to Astroworld/Waterworld.... to which you can get to by the train from dowtown if you are staying there. Its an OK amusement park...which has a nice kid zone, etc.

The ZOO at Herman park is decent... and there is a mini train you can ride around the park there as well...which I am sure the kids would LOVE.

If you need a time killer, etc.. head over to the Jillians complex at the Marqee Center.... on I-10 and silber, which also has an IMAX there. Plenty of video games, eats, etc... http://www.jillians.com/

Houston Heights
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

I think people should go visit the "big heads" off of Washington in the Heights just for fun.

There is also the odd house that's built out of recycled material, I think soda cans or something like that...

Then, if you're into cemetaries and famous people, you should go see Aviator's tombstone... Howard Hughes also near the "Big Heads".

I've never been to any of them, but they're on my list of must sees (and they're FREE)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

I raised four kids here; there is lots for a young family to do. Of course, an Astros game is an obvious option since you will be staying near the ballpark anyway. Astroworld/Waterworld are possibilities, but nothing there you cant't find in lots of other amusement/waterparks. NASA/Space Center Houston has exhibits and activities geared for kids, and interesting things for the adults too. Also:

We have a great Children's Museum here in Houston.

The Wall of Water near the Galleria inspires awe in young ones and adults alike. Great photographic backdrop too.

The Big Heads in the Heights that a previous poster mentioned are a fun quirky attraction; the story I have heard is that an artist was commissioned to create enormous busts of famous people, but the project fell through for some reason. So the sculptures, some unfinished, are stored in a parking lot in the Heights are of Houston. I found it fun to see, but it your boys might be a bit young to appreciate it.

The same poster also mentioned the weird house. I believe she was referring to The Orange Show, an attraction to be found only in Houston. Colorful, eccentric, and fun.

You might want to also consider the Galveston area, roughly an hour away. Moody Gardens, and the beaches themselves, are kid pleasers there.

To deal with the heat, wear light, breathable fabrics, in a couple of layers, so you can be comfortable going in and out of air conditioning. Also, drink lots and lots and lots of water

I hope you enjoy your stay in our city. Have fun!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

The Space Center is very nice having been updated, but it may not be that exciting for very small children (and it is not close to the ballpark). Lots of hands on things for wannabe astronauts.

If I had to pick the best things to do in a few days...

The Zoo, also having been renovated, is AWESOME! I went for the first time in years a few months ago with my Godchildren (2, 8 & 12) and they all loved it, especially the petting zoo. The Zoo is at Herman Park (on the light rail route). If you are there on a Saturday, there are free shows at Miller Outdoor Theater. There are paddle boats, which the kids like, an IMAX theater and planetarium at the Museum (there are actually several Museums in the area) and the butterfly exhibit and Japanese gardens. There is so much in Herman park to do, easily take up two days.

The Downtown Aquarium, has rides and attractions and, of course, the aquarium. 10 minute walk from the light rail stop.

While Astroworld/Waterworld may be fun, it is expensive and with the hot weather, may not be the best for young kids (given it will cost a family of 4 over $100 just to get in the door). If I were staying near the ballpark, I would consider going to the Galleria to go ice skating(http://www.polaricegalleria.com/), lunch and maybe walk over to the Water Wall.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip in July- what are the must see's??

Bring shorts and cool clothes. It's hot here. Houston is experiencing a moderate drought. This is the driest June on record since 1896. Daily temps. average in the high 90's. Stay cool as possible. Kemah Boardwalk is a great place to take the kids. They have an open court area with water jets in the pavement. The jets go off randomly and kids love to run through the jets. It's fun ( for adults also) to try and run across the area with out getting wet. The Boardwalk also has an Amusement area complete with train and ferris wheel. The downtown Aquarium complex is also nice.