We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help,please.

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Help,please.

My family and I are staying north of Houston in the Woodlands for two weeks in July.Any advice on family stlye eating out, day trips and good shopping(3 teenage daughters).Anybody know about local sport teams that might be playing at that time, americian football,soccer,basket ball.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help,please.

Unfortunately too early for American Football (pre season games start in Aug) and too late for basketball and baseball. I think soccer will be on. Other than that The Woodlands itself has a lot to offer with plenty of shopping and lots of restaurants. The Woodlands Mall is one of the nicer ones. There is also a 'pavillion' outdoor - with a portion under roof also within The Woodlands. Journey, Foreigner, Martina McBride, Bryan Adams are the artist playing in July. It is called "Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion".

The museums and the other theaters are in downtown Houston - about 25 miles south.

Galleria - about 35 - 40 miles SW, is a nice mall a must see - then Kemah boardwalk again further south.

I am sure everyone will tell you to visit the space center (close to Kemah), I think it is a must see, however I have to tell that several leave disappointed.

Go to 'b4ueat' houston site and it will give you pretty much all the restaurants - and we have a lot.

If you can make it to San Antonio - you will enjoy it - it is tough for a day trip (I have done it), but best is overnight. A little history (Alamo) and the Riverwalk and more eating and shopping (lot a Mexican influence). San Antonio is about 225 miles west, about a three hour and a half hour drive. Austin is also great - north west - but SA is better unless you like the bar and music scene (then a definite overnight!).

One that seems to be a big secret is the forbidden garden in Katy. A minature replica of the actual one in China - not a must see but nice and only about 30 miles west of Houston.

Houston is so spread out so distance is nothing to us. For you gas (petrol) will be 50p per litre and food will be real cheap. Portions here are big - so unless big eaters - should be able to share. I am sure other will add..... enjoy the stay.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help,please.

The Woodlands is an upscale community which includes a resort, commercial area and a shopping mall, which includes a movie theater, set in a wooded area. There's several restaurants in the mall and elsewhere for pretty reasonable family dining.

You'll enjoy it there, though in July the humidity in the Houston makes the heat feel worse. I hope you have access to a pool!

The Houston Astros professional baseball team plays its home games in downtown Houston. Here's the link for the home games scheduled in July. houston.astros.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp…

and for The Woodlands Mall www.thewoodlandsmall.com/html/index20.asp

Houston, tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help,please.

The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion is an outdoor theater that hosts summer concerts in the Woodlands.

http://pavilion.woodlandscenter.org/

In July 2008 they have:

HOUSTON SYMPHONY STAR-SPANGLED SALUTE

Thursday, July 03, 2008

8:00 PM

Michael Krajewski, Conductor

MARTINA MCBRIDE

Saturday, July 19, 2008

7:30 PM

with Jack Ingram & Chris Young

BRYAN ADAMS & FOREIGNER

Friday, July 25, 2008

7:30 PM

JOURNEY

Saturday, July 26, 2008

7:00 PM

with Heart & Cheap Trick

Houston, tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help,please.

Splashtown is in Spring, TX which is an easy day trip from the Woodlands. Houston temperatures are in the 90's and above in July, so a water park can be a lot of fun, esp. for teenagers.

http://www.splashtownpark.com/

Oddly enough, Ice Skating is popular in summer in Houston, because most rinks are located in shopping malls. There is a rink in the Galleria (Polar Ice Galleria) if you want to take a break from shopping. I believe there is also one in the Woodlands.

Houston has excellent theaters and museums downtown. Find info on current exhibits here:

http://www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/

http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org/

A popular exhibit at the Museum of Natural Science is Lucy´s Legacy: The Hidden Treasures of Ethiopia

http://www.hmns.org/

Have fun!

Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help,please.

Thanks for all the advice, really looking forward to our trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help,please.

I gave u some incorrect advise - the astros are indeed playing (baseball) - the baseball stadium is also nice and if you catch a night game and depening on the weather they might open the roof. Pretty cool to see the roof open (and very quiet). Thank you (the other post) for the correction.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help,please.

Some other websites for The Woodlands area

www.visitthewoodlands.com and www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com

Restuarant in/near The Woocdlands to visit, Carrabba's (Italian) and Johnny Rocket's in Market Street shopping area for 50's style diner atmosphere and hamburgers and chocolate milkshakes.

For great

outlet style shopping, head to Cypress, about an hour from The Woodlands. There is a brand new shopping outlet mall there, for more information

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

A day trip to Galveston is always nice. The beach, Schlitterbahn (a water park), Moody Gardens, historical homes, etc are there to enjoy. Galveston.com has lots of information.

If you are not committed to staying in The Woodlands for the entire 2 weeks, I suggest heading out to San Antonio-Austin areas for a 3-4 days. Lots to see and do out there also. Too far for a day trip.

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help,please.

I highly recommend attending a Houston Roller Derby (houstonrollerderby.com) bout.

July 5th: visiting team bout against HaRD Knocks (travel team)

July 13th: interleague bout

We live 30 minutes away from The Woodlands and we enjoy spending weekends there.

* Landry's has live music on Friday and Saturday's

* Tranquility Tuesday: Complimentary Yoga 9-10am a Lululemon Athletica

* West Side Story: Nancy Bock Center for the Performing Arts

* Godspell (play): The Woodlands College Park High School

There is definitely not a shortage of restaurants!

The mall is big and will keep you entertained for awhile.

July 4th: Fourth Of July Festivities In The Woodlands Town Center Include Houston Symphony Performance, Parade And 11th Annual Red, Hot & Blue Festival

Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion:

Martina McBride July 19

Bryan Adams & Foreigner July 25

Journey featuring Heart & Cheap Trick July 26

9. Re: Help,please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 15:19