We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly Relocating to Houston

chicago,il
14 posts
Save Topic
Possibly Relocating to Houston

Hello, I'm considering moving to Houston. I'v been researching the surrounding suburbs (as I'm not interested in living directly in the city). I have to admit, I feel over-realmed. There are so many choices and I don't know exactly where to look. I'm a young, single female without children. I'm looking to buy a 3 maybe 4 bedroom home in a nice, quiet area. I'm not concerned with commute times or school districts( except if it affects my taxes). I'm much more interested in my personal safety, housing cost, natural beauty, flooding possibilities and major shopping access. I'm planning to come to Houston in mid September as sort of a house scouting trip. I've been looking at the Woodlands, Spring, Tomball, Clear Lake, Humble and Conroe(Montgomery?). I've never been to Houston, so right now these places are just a lot of names to me. I was wondering if any one of these areas is particularly better or worse then the others. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank You

Houston
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly Relocating to Houston

All of the areas you mention have pluses and minuses, hard to say one is better than the other and you never really said *why* you are coming here.

Add Katy (west), Sugarland (southwest), and New Pearland (south) to the list. Tomball is northwest, Spring and Conroe are north, Humble/Kingwood are northeast, and Clear Lake is southeast.

You say commute is not a concern. Is that because you don't work (or work at home) or because you feel you can handle it? If the former, I'm envious. If the latter, proceed slowly and take a few peak-hour drives across town when you are here. The thing about traffic is that it has a cumulative effect. It might not bother you for a few weeks or months, but as the frustrations accumulate you grow to hate it more and more.

All of the areas are relatively safe, but safety is largely a function of your actions. You can be unsafe anywhere and crime often strikes randomly, but if you look out for yourself you should be OK. Security is a lot like health. You can eat well and exercise regularly and still get stricken by some disease, but if you do all the right things the odds are on your side.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly Relocating to Houston

My wife (a Houston native) would probably recommend the Woodlands. She spent much of her childhood there, but has also lived in Clear Lake and Spring. The Woodlands is a very quiet planned community that is about as safe as it gets with regards to Houston. The surrounding landscape is quite nice...very wooded (as the name suggests), with most communities having a small lake or pond. The cost of housing I believe is not bad, but then again, that goes for almost all of Houston's suburbs (I still cant believe how cheap houses are down there!!!). For nearby shopping, you have the newly renovated Woodlands Mall (which I'm told is quite impressive), and the Woodlands Waterway. You also have the Woodlands Pavilion nearby, which is where most concerts in Houston are held.

Clear Lake is also pretty nice, but I don't know that much about it. Its south of Houston, and is a relatively well-off area. Its also the site of the Lyndon B Johnson Space Center (NASA). I think there is a mall nearby....Baybrook mall?, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. If I recall correctly most of the houses are not in housing communities (unlike the woodlands).

Spring is not bad, but I would pick one of the other two if I could. From what I hear, the property value in Spring is going down, so it may not be the best idea to buy a house there now.

As for the other areas you mentioned, I'm not that familiar with them. I will say that Conroe is way north of Houston, and probably a bit too far removed from city life for your tastes (its a bit country is what I'm getting at).

Hope this helps a little bit!

chicago,il
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly Relocating to Houston

Wow, you all are great. I really appreciate your responses. I didn't mention Katy and New Pearland because I wasn't really interested in those areas of town. I mean, I have to cut this search off somewhere(smile). I think that I already mention 6 or 7 different suburbs. I want to correct myself, it's not Clear Lake, it is Bay Town. I think that amongst all of the areas, I was leaning toward Spring the most(it seems to be close to the Woodlands without being as pricey). That said, I was really surprised and puzzled to read that the property value is going down in Spring. Now that puts me right back to square one. I really need to know what are the pros and cons of these suburbs. My September trip is quickly approaching and think that I'm going to be running all over greater Houston, like a chicken with it's head cut off. I guess I new more help from the good people of Texas than I realized.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly Relocating to Houston

Aww, I didn't mean to totally turn you away from Spring. Maybe my opinion is simply skewed seeing as my mother-in-law lives there ( joking :)). The only reason I mentioned the property value thing is because she just recently moved because the value of the houses in her neighbourhood were declining. But then again, she simply moved to another area of Spring so I guess this is only happening in some areas.

Spring actually has some very good qualities about it. Its quiet and safe from what I can tell. The houses are more affordable there (as you mentioned). Its still very close to the Woodlands pavilion and the Woodlands mall. And it also has some AMAZING restaurants. If I could, I would like to recommend the Wunsche Brothers Cafe in Old Town Spring. Best chicken fried steak I've ever had. (I know you might be skeptical about trusting a Canuck such as myself on the topic of quality southern food, but trust me.....its good!!).

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly Relocating to Houston

We just moved to Houston, (great city by the way), and did the real estate dance with a great realtor for guidence. We decided against the Woodlands because of the congestion. Finally ended up south of the city in Silvercreek in Pearland. Great neighborhood, almost all built out so there isn't too much construction left, right of HWY 288, but very quiet, huge houses in the high 2's to 3's, neighbors are all professionals, some children but not overrun, very safe and no flooding issues. We can be at the Galleria & Central Market in 15 minutes in off rush hour times. In value for your money we felt this was a great spot. Good Luck.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possibly Relocating to Houston

We live in a subdivision in the Spring area called Northampton and just LOVE it! We lived in the front of the neighborhood for about 10 years and decided since the kids were getting older to get a little bit bigger house with a pool in the yard. We looked around for close to a year at surrounding areas like Memorial Northwest, Champions, Gleannloch Farms, Windrose, the Woodlands, Augusta Pines, etc. and finally decided for the money that Northampton was STILL the best value for your money. Just in the last two years, Gosling Road Bridge has opened up and now the Woodlands is just 5 minutes away from us and our high school, Klein Oak, just got the International Baccalaureate Programme, which is a huge honor. We have our own volunteer fire department and constable sub-station in the neighborhood and all three schools, Northampton, Hildebrandt, and Klein Oak are in the neighborhood also. Children who live here can walk to all three schools! We have two Olympic size pools, one at the front entrance and one in the back, 4 tennis courts, exercise gym, 3 parks, one duck pond, several meeting rooms and pavillions, different family-oriented parties every month of the year, etc. We love it and highly recommend it! Good luck in your search as well!

7. Re: Possibly Relocating to Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2005, 21:01