We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ist in Houston.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Ist in Houston.

Hi everyone, we're thinking of coming to Houston next May /June, staying in Cypress which I believe is north of the City.

Can you tell us what to expect weather wise & what are the must sees in the city & thereabouts. We will have a car but don't like to drive more than a couple of hours either way. Is there enough to keep us occupied for 2 weeks.

We like shopping so are hoping for some good malls?

Any advice or information would be much appreciated, thanks all,

Carole.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ist in Houston.

Cypress is actually northwest of Houston, a pretty good distance out if your interest is in Houston itself.

The temperatures in May and June are warm, but not too hot and the humidity will make it a bit uncomfortable outside. But air conditioning is everywhere, so don't worry about that too much.

There may be enough to keep you busy for 2 weeks, but you may also want to consider doing maybe a week in the Houston area and then maybe drive to Austin or San Antonio are (also known as the Hill Country) for some diversity. It would be about a 3-4 hour drive to either of those cities, but very easy to get there by the highway. There are lots of malls around Houston, as well as a new outlet center in Cypress. www.houstonpremiumoutlets.com

Welcome to Texas!!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ist in Houston.

Hi kencar. Two weeks seems like a long stay in Houston. I agree with knr about considering a visit to San Antonio +/- Austin.

Since I haven't been to Houston that many times, I don't know all the different malls. I can say I have been to and enjoyed the Galleria. I stayed in the Woodlands (north of Houston) just this past weekend. We went to the Woodlands Mall one day (okay) and the next day went to the Market Street The Woodlands. I really enjoyed and recommend this outdoor shopping area of upscale shops and dining. www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com Also in the Woodlands and close to the mall is a Sam Moon. I didn't get to stop since my daughter was too tired from our day, but I have been to the one in Frisco. It's very popular in Frisco so I imagine the one in the Woodlands is good too. I'm sure others more familiar with the area can give more suggestions for shopping.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ist in Houston.

Thank you both. We are thinking of doing the trips to San Ant. & Austin, maybe staying overnight. We have been offered a house in Cypress so we'll be based there & hopefully get out to the surrounding towns & Malls.

Can you tell me how far a drive is it from Cypress to Houston, and is it a good road, traffic-wise?

Any more info regarding sight seeing etc would be appreciated, thanks.

Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ist in Houston.

Everything in Houston is at least a 30 minute drive with little or no traffic to the downtown area. If you are here during the week, the times to avoid are rush hour morning between 7 and 9:30 a.m and afternoon rush hour between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. There is a lot to see and do in Houston. Just to name a few, Discovery Green, the musuem district (there is always a great exhibit to see) Houston is so large, that there are great area malls all over. I love the Woodlands, because that's north of Houston, but not a lot of stores, great Market Street for dinner and boutique shopping. I love Rice Village, This district exhibits an eclectic personality due to its amazing Thai restaurants, antique shops, and boutiques. Silverlake Village

is a newly built shopping center and located in the Pearland area. It is beginning to bloom into a hot shopping location because of its outdoor mall concept, which is great when the weather is nice. If you love finding items for your home, antiques and novelty items then check out Old Town Spring. It's located north of Houston off of IH-45, and is full of old-world charm. There are a lot of things to see and do in Houston and it's surrounding areas. Enjoy your stay!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ist in Houston.

I would add NASA (if you are interested in space) and try to see an event at The Wortham (or one of the other theaters (or theatre as you would spell it). There is a minature forbidden city in the Katy area (West of town) - which is also quite interesting. Try and go to a baseball game too while you are it - only 3 hours unlike cricket. The stadium itself is nice - so if nothing else maybe a tour of the stadium.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ist in Houston.

You might also enjoy a trip to Brazos Bend State Park, especially if there's a cooler day during your trip. A good place to see alligators!! On the way to Brazos Bend is is George Ranch Historical Park.

We liked seeing the San Jacinto Monument and the nearby warship a few years ago. I'm not sure but I think they were damaged by the hurricane - hopefully will be open again by your visit.

The Houston zoo is good - we've been there several times.

If you go to the Galleria, don't miss the Wall of Water - it's a tradition of our to go there and take a photo every time we visit.

Spacecenter Houston was our least favorite of places we've been in Houston.

Can you tell we have grandchildren who live in Houston??

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ist in Houston.

Thanks guys, you're great.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
131 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ist in Houston.

A few other thoughts: do you like antiques? Want to see old Texas towns? In Cypress you should be near to Hwy 290. Here is a small road trip:

Travel north on Hwy 290 to Brenham, Tx about 45 minutes. On the way you will pass a few antique shops and Chappell Hill, which is home of Chappell Hill sausage company. They have a shop right on Hwy 290. Stop in and sample the wares. Chappell Hill's old downtown is a few blocks north of Hwy 290 - just follow the sign. There are shops there with crafts, antiques, old garden decorations, etc.

When you get to Brenham, it also has a small quaint downtown. The Ant Street B&B is nice and close to the theatre where you can catch a play. Brenham is the home of the BlueBell Ice Cream company which celebrated their 100 year anniversary last year. During the week they give free tours with complimentary ice cream at the end.

Then about 20 minutes south of Brenham on Hwy 36 is Bellville. They are also a charming very small town with the traditional town square circling the courthouse (which unfortunately isn't as charming). There are a few antique shops in the square. On the first Saturday of each month they have their market day with vendor tents around the square.

If you don't go south to Bellville, but instead decide to head back to Cypress, then try to make a stop in Independence, TX. This is where TX declared Independence. There is a fabulous place called the Antique Rose Emporium. It is a gorgeous place with hundreds upon hundreds of roses that they have categorized and can tell you the heritage. It is set in a wonderful garden setting with ponds, buildings, arbors, etc. The roses are for sale as well and would make a great gift for your house-hosts.

Here's a deal for you: Email me when you're coming out and I can show you around these wonderful backroads of Texas. I live in Houston and my weekend place is out in the area I describe so I know it pretty well.

9. Re: Ist in Houston.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:26