We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forbidden City?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Forbidden City?

I've been posting some questions on the San Antonio board for our upcoming late February trip. We heard about the Forbidden City in Katy, Texas.

Has anyone been there lately? Is it as cool as it look? I'm always afraid the photos on the website are outdated.

We are renting a car for a few days to explore the area around SA. Would it be worth a day trip? I'm thinking getting up early and arriving when the place opens, then maybe stop at some sights--suggestions please--(and for BBQ) on the way back.

Thanks for your help!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forbidden City?

My choices first to last, but all are excellent choices. These are shades of perfection and worth a special trip.

Smitty's in Lockhart

Salt Lick Near Austin

City Market in Luling

Kreuz Market in Lockhart

Black's in Lockhart

Luling Bar-B-Que in Luling

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forbidden City?

It's been about 3 years since I was there last - I liked it and thought it was well worth it. This topis has come up in the recent past - you might be able to get more info if you search for it. It is just off I-10 - so it will be a quick run on I-10 from SA. The good BBQ places I am familiar with and some the previous post had mentioned (such as Luling) are good but about another 90 mts from Katy. My guess is that there are other between Katy and SA.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forbidden City?

Hi GV,

If you do have a car, be sure to go to Chris Madrid's for a burger and onion rings--the Best. It is away from the touristy area, and they have a great patio, if the weather is good!

Go to:

www.chrismadrids.com/main.php…

for menu,location, directions...it is worth the 20 minute trip!!

enjoy,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forbidden City?

Personally, I don't think that coming from San Antonio to Houston is worth the 6 or 7 hour round trip drive for a day trip. I live in Houston and I love it, but I would rather go to Austin, New Braunfels, Wimberley, or Fredericksburg (just to name a few places) since it takes less than half that time.

I've never been to the Forbidden City, but I would like to go sometime.

5. Re: Forbidden City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 11:19