We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay?

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay?

We are coming to Houston at the beginning of April and staying three days. Can anyone advise best location to stay - we won't have a car as will be flying from UK via Chicago and then after our brief stay in Houston are flying on to New Orleans. Would like to be in walking distance of good restaurants, bars etc and able to get to find tours and attractions easily. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay?

Nothing is really walking distance in Houston and public transport is pretty bad. Based on your criteria I would say either Westin Oaks or Westin Galleria - both are inside the Galleria Mall. It is a pretty central location and should be able to get a taxi, tour pick ups etc. Others might suggest somewhere downtown - but the Galleria to me is the best and since all this is under one roof weather will not be a factor either. There are restuarants and bars inside the galleria - but better options outside but in the general vicinity

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
The Westin Galleria Houston
The Westin Galleria...
1,044 Reviews
Houston, TX
The Galleria
The Galleria
4,505 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay?

If it is in your price range, I would stay at the Hotel ZaZa. It is within walking distance of most of the museums (Natural Science, Fine Arts, Contemporary Art) and a short cab ride from the Menil. It is close to a light rail stop which you can take downtown. It is also about 1 1/2 miles (walking around or through the Rice University campus)to Rice Village, which has restaurants, bars, shopping, etc., and is one of the few areas in Houston where you'll see lots of people walking. For what's going on in Houston, you might check out www.artshound.com and for restaurant reviews, www.b4-u-eat.com.

Mentioned in this post
Rice University Campus
Rice University Campus
444 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay?

Hi,

I agree that the Galleria area hotels might be best for you(please see link below); There is a Cheesecake Factory(eat dessert first, and I know they have great cheesecake, but try the hot apple and ice cream dessert...oh My!) restaurant in the Galleria, you all may enjoy that!

Do go to the museum district; the Museum of Natural History, the Cockrell Butterfly Museum, within the MNH (wonderful--you walk among the butterflies, as they hatch and fly...great photo ops!), the Imax there, and more.

You all might enjoy Midtown, at night (take a taxi there) as there are many nice bars and restaurants in that area, within walking distance of each other; most are casual upscale..nicer jeans, etc, but all pretty easygoing, and lots of patios, to enjoy April outdoors!

I found this link, as a possible hotel suggestion:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-398752-jw_marriott_hotel_houston-i;_ylt=AvuQgS3HPEOzzM27aGigmp_iphQB

The JW Marriott is direclty across from the Galleria, and right beside a very nice shopping center,full of good stores, food, a Starbucks, etc. This might be perfect for you, and the reviews looked good! :)

hope you enjoy Htown!

Ciao,

Cupcake

Mentioned in this post
The Galleria
The Galleria
4,505 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay?

Oops! The link I copied for the hotel there did not work, so here is another, that I hope will!:

marriott.com/hotels/…

you can use the other info to go to Yahoo Travel and search the hotel there, if you like :)

CC,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay?

..and another... ;)

when looking for rates on hotels, cars..anything in the USA, go to "www.retailmenot.com" and input your request, ie "discount codes for Marriott hotels". I saw quite a few, that would work well for you. I love this website, and save on All kinds of things. Just input the codes, til you get one that works!

CC,

Cupcake

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay?

Thanks to everyone for all your tips - we'll sit down now and sort something out.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay?

Another vote for the Galleria

Mentioned in this post
The Galleria
The Galleria
4,505 Reviews
Houston, TX
8. Re: Best area to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 05:21