We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Am flying from BWI to Houston Bush Intl with Continental, Its my understanding that we land at terminal C and then my fight to Puerto Vallarta leaves from Termanal E.

On the map I found on the internet it looks like they are pretty close and it should be easy...but I know that sometimes how it looks on a map and how it really is can be 2 different things.

This is the first time I have not flown someplace direct and I am a little nervous so any sage advice or insights would be appreciated.

I have 1 hour 48 minutes between flights. If I check any bags will I have to get them when arriving at the Houston or do they automatically get changed to the other plane?

Thanks in advance for any insights or other tips to make this easy.

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

San Antonio
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Depending on where in C & E, it can be a little hike, but nothing that you need worry about with 1:48 between flights. Thirty minutes is enough on the outbound flight, but you'll need a little more on the return to clear immigrations.

Unless you are switching flights, you will only have to worry about checked luggage on the return, and only for a short period as you pass through customs. On the other side, they'll take your checked luggage back onto the plane for you.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Unless your BWI to IAH is very late, you will have ample time to make the connection. IAH has an Automated People Mover named TerminaLink you can use from C to E in about 10 minutes with average wait times. It's on the secure side, so there's no need to go outside and reenter security. Walking within security is also easy, 20 minutes, if you want to get some exercise before the next flight. Signage for the APM is good, or ask a CO gate attendant about getting to the People Mover.

The APM is not the below ground tram system, which is outside security.

If you haven't see it, http://www.fly2houston.com/ has a lot of information including a full sized terminal and a list of services. E is the newest terminal, and has an above average concourse with some above average food and drink.

Bags should be checked through from BWI to PV, and your return bag claim, customs and recheck is easy and quick as previous poster noted.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

No need to worry. As the previous posts said - you have plenty of time. BTW are you also flying Co to PV? If so they might (not will - might) even hold the PV flight if the IAH flight gets delayed.

You will have to get the bags on the return - go through customs and then 'drop it off' as you exit customs. At PV they will tag the bags to BWI - so all you do is leave it in the genaral area and then get back to C

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Thanks Everyone for your repies! I truly appreciate them! Puts my mind at ease! I have printed out the info from that website and have the map of the terminals so hopefully all will go well!

Thanks again and

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
269 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Again to reiterate what others have said, it's rather painless to connect on a CO flight in Houston.

You BWI-IAH flight can arrive in either C or E and your IAH-PVR flight may depart from C or E. If you're worried about running around the airport, and have enough time to go on the internet before you leave BWI on a laptop or mobile phone, check out the flight status of your flight on the CO website. They're usually up-to-date with both departure and arrival gate information. If you're on your mobile, you can type: http://pda.continental.com/info for this information. You can even peek into whether there will be food served on the flight and if a movie will be shown, as well as if your flights will be full. Once you know your gates, take a quick peruse through the CO magazine on the plane or your map to get some bearings to your gate. Also IAH tends to be pretty good, they will have golf carts to take you to your next gate if you're running late or have limited mobility.

Make sure when you check in at BWI or online that your bags will be checked all the way to PVR. If you check in online and will be the first time taking an international flight with CO, you can reserve your seats for both flights, but will not be fully checked in until your documents have been fully checked. On the return, you should have no problem fully checking in online for this and future international flights on CO until you renew your passport.

On your return, with your bags checked in all the way to BWI, you will have to go through Customs & Immigration at IAH. If you arrive in mid-afternoon, you may experience a long wait as most of the big international flights from London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Dubai, Doha, Tokyo, and Moscow/Singapore arrive between 1pm and 4pm. Outside those times it should be fairly quiet. After you hand in your customs form to the agent, you will see a baggage belt on your right for those connecting onto another flight. Drop your bags there and then head to security on the level above. This security area will then drop you off in between Terminals D and E. From there there are monitors which will list where your BWI flight will depart.

Hope that helps!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

WOW!!! aznmadscience,

thanks so much! I have printed out all of the info you and others have shared! I really apprciate this!

Thanks!

bb/mt

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Hi B,

When you board your first flight, look in the seat pocket, and pull out the "Continental" magazine. In the back, it has a very clear map of terminals!

Be sure to ask for help, too! Anyone on a navy blue Continental uniform will be glad to help, and they have "Red Coats" in each area; customer service reps in easy-to-spot red coats that are happy to help, as well.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

cc,

Cupcake

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

Thanks CupCake!

I appreciate your hints!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

9. Re: Airport layout and getting from one terminal to another

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 05:42