We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are the square dance performances in Houston

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
185 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
are the square dance performances in Houston

I will be in Houston in Oct/Nov. Lived in Houston during my high school years, but has since then moved away. My family now lives in Asia and I want to take my kids to experience the country/cowboy culture. My 3-year-old loves dancing, so I thought about taking her to see square dancing. I surfed on the web, and the only sites I found are all for social square dancing. I don't know how to square dance myself, so I am looking for a place with a festive atmosphere and just let the kids watch and perhaps, join in a bit if the people don't feel my daughter is much in the way...Any suggestions? We will be staying in the Willowbrook/FM1960 area.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

I don't have any specific information, but I would guess the social square dance clubs would be glad for you to visit them while they are dancing. I'd email a couple and see what develops. They also would be a good source for information about possible events or festivals during the time you'll be in Houston.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

Square- and line- dancing are not all that typical of Texas. They're more common in the deep south / appalachians area (e.g., Nashville). Still, at any C&W dance hall, a line dance is likely to break out at some point, mainly for the ladies (so I'm told -- I don't frequent those clubs)...

In Texas, the "Two Step" is the more common dance. You can see this at any club, but I don't know about any place appropriate for a 3yo. You'd probably have to be on the watch for a church social, many of which are open to the public (for a small donation/fee).

For cowboy life, head on over to San Antonio / Bandera. Bandera will really give you a taste of the cowboy life, with dude ranches, rodeos, and the full gamut.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

Contrary to prior posts, I believe square dancing is still alive and well in Houston, and throughout Texas.

A good starting point for you would be this web site: HOUSTON SQUARE AND ROUND DANCE COUNCIL, INC.

COUNCIL TELEPHONE: 713-728-8050 www.squarethru.com

The 61st Houston Hoe Down is a big production down in Galveston in October, and is profiled on this web page.

There are also a list of several clubs in Houston showing a schedule and place their periodic dances, frequently in a church near their home base.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression that it couldn't be found, just that it isn't the "common" dance (however, in Nashville, it's fairly pervasive).

I'm sure you can find something, but I still think that if you want a real cowboy adventure, you would do well to look into dude ranches, etc.

The council link is a great one, btw. Very helpful...

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

Guys, thanks for all your help. Actually, any C&W dancing is good. I just want my daughter to experience a bit more of the "West."

Bandera is pretty far away! Do you mean Bandera in general or the Dixie Dude Ranch specifically?

I think I know what you mean when you say there isn't so much square dancing in Houston. The only time I went to one was in College Station (I am an Aggie! Gig 'em).

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

Hi E,

It may be a problem for your two year old to get into the places where people dance 'country'; most of them are bars, and admittance would be for those either 18 and up, or 21 (legal drinking age in the U.S.)

Please don't let that discourage you though, and do call the Square dance association's number, so that your daughter can enjoy Texas.

Please try to get to our Houston Children's Museum, as well; it is Very hands-on, and kids Love it--sounds like it is perfect for your daughter!

enjoy!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, TX
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

Bluebonnet Squares dances on Monday nights at Spring Woods Methodist Church on FM1960 between Kuykendahl and IH-45. The dance begins at 7:30 pm.

For more info email

bluebonnetsquares@yahoo.com

website

http://bluebonnets.irisar.com/

Email and let me know which night you might attend our dance and we will be looking for you. We have the better callers in Houston area and we are about 15 - 20 from Willowbrook Mall.

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
857 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

I would HIGHLY recommend the Mayan Dude ranch in Bandera. Look at their website. Used to go as a child, and it has all the cowboys culture you could ever want. And they do have a night with dancing in the "ghost town". Square dancing, line dancing, cotton-eyed joe. It's a good time.

9. Re: are the square dance performances in Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 05:16