We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
351 reviews
Save Topic
Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

We're on our way from Ohio to Arizona and will be spending one night in Houston (I know, not enough!). Not sure what area of downtown is best to stay? We'd like to get a quick overview of the city and walk to a nice non-chain restaurant.

Thank!!

Sara

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

You would probably want to stay in the Galleria area. It also puts you close to I-10 for your departure towards Arizona.

Check the threads on here for Galleria area hotels.

Welcome to Houston, although a short one.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Any one of these will be enjoyable and will put you within walkable distance of a considerable number of food and entertainment places in center city Houston:

Houston Magnolia Hotel, 1100 Texas Street, Houston 713-221-0011‎

Alden-Houston‎, 1117 Prairie Street, Houston 832-200-8800‎

Hotel ICON‎, 220 South Main Street, Houston 713-224-4266

Some can be booked through the internet discount sites such as hotels.com or hotwire.com provided there is not a convention or similar event scheduled that week.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

I too would say the Galleria area - as far as food, I cannot think of one walking distance to any of the hotels. Let us know what type of food and we can narrow it down for you.

On a totally separate matter - why come all the way down to Houston? I am sure you have your reasons but that is like adding a bunch of miles to the trip. Why not take I-40 from OK?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Ha....we have a story about that! Last year, we took I-40. Remember that big ice storm that devastated Kentucky and other states? Well, we woke up in Little Rock that morning and thought it had gone north of us. Got on 40 and ended up getting stuck on the road in an ice storm for 5 hours. Finally got moving and made it to Oklahoma City around midnight. This trip, we decided to head straight SOUTH to New Orleans and then across I-10!

Restaurant choices would be Italian (not Northern Italian), seafood, steak, comfort food.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/ is a great website for checking out restaurant reviews once you decide where to stay. You can search by ZIP code and type of cuisine.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Italian Mingalones (read some bad reviews about service recently), theater district), Seafood, Willie G's (Gallerai area), steak Pappa's Bros or Brenners. Upscale - for anything try Remington - the restaurant at St. Regis. One of the few hotel restaurants that has good food. Another is Fung's Kitchen (for seafood) - it it chinese / vietnamese - but has the best food - especially seafood and not too pricy. Overall - if you want elegance - my choice is Remington and if you want good sea food - Fung's Kitchen. (SW Houston).

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Many thanks for the restaurant suggestions! I'll print that list so we can choose once we pick a hotel.

I'm confused about the "Galleria" area. I looked at the hotels mentioned above on Google.com/maps, and it didn't show an actual building called the Galleria. Is it a downtown mall?

Thanks again!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Try using google.maps to get your Houston bearings before you travel, if you are a google user.

Enter "700 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002" in the search window and a map will come up that shows the northeastern end of center city Houston.

Next enter "5085 Westheimer Rd Houston, TX 77056" to get a map of the area around the Galleria Mall, which is a large destination high end shopping mall. The term "Galleria" is used by many to refer to the area covered by a 1-2 mile radius of the Mall. Another generic term for the area is "Uptown". The Mall itself has 2 hotels, and there are another dozen or so in the immediate area. Most are higher end hotels, but many discount when the convention business is not active. The Hilton Post Oak is popular, as are many of the hotels immediately southwest of the Mall.

Google maps allows searching for hotel and restaurant locations from the same maps by entering "; hotels" and similar search terms after the street address or using the seperate search bar. Sometimes the locations on the maps are a little off point, but not very often.

Google maps also features street photos of all of these areas.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passing through for one night next week. Where to stay??!!

Galleria is a mall - a pretty nice mall at it. Just to give you some idea it is SW of I-10. As you come on I-10 take 59 S and then to the Loop 610 and you are basically in the Galleria area (about 7 miles from Down town).

It is slightly out of the way but a nice area. Staying down town will be easier as I-10 sorta goes by DT, but the few extra miles is worth it (I think).