We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful parking in Houston

Austin, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful parking in Houston

Houston sends policemen into residential neighborhoods looking for parking violations. We just received a ticket for parking on the left side of the street in front of our daughters house in a residential neighborhood while visiting our grandchildren. I realize that not knowing the law is not an excuse but it never occurred to us that parking in that manner was illegal. Be advised even in residential neighborhoods, the Houston police are looking.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

It's impossible to understand the situation. Was it a no parking zone, were you parked with the driver's side against the curb, or too far away, etc. But frankly I can't get worked up about parking tickets wherever they're received.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

Some police departments and neighborhoods, not just in Houston, have a policy that says your vehicle must be parked in the correct traffic direction.

I learned this while visiting my cousin in Frisco, Texas. She told me to hurry and get my car turned around or I would be ticketed.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Frisco
Frisco
Texas
Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
494 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

This can be worse in some of the "cities in the city" such as West University, Bellaire, and so on. They have their own police departments and thus have a much smaller area to patrol. *never* try speeding in these cities.

Best way to tell if you're in one? The color of the street name signs is a difference color!

Austin, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

A clearer description is that we parked with the driver's side against the curb. We were not too far from the curb. It was not a no parking zone. Will certainly never do it again.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

This isn't unique to Houston. My friend in KS had the cop come up to her door and tell her to move her car for the same reason before he wrote her a ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

Hi,

This is'nt new; my Dad got the same ticket 8 years ago, when he parked in the same manner, in front of our home in Kingwood, TX.

In my opinion, they are not "sending" the HPD into neighborhoods to do this, but when they are there on normal duty, which protect our homes and homeowners, and they see a violation, they do issue tickets.

You might be able to call the county and explain your plight, and that, being from out of town, you were not aware of the particular laws. Not saying they will waive the ticket, but it might help.

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

I got a ticket for this same violation. It was explained to me that it was considered "driving on the wrong side of the road," because there was no way you could get the car in the position that it was if you had not been driving on the left side of the road--at least for a short distance. Makes sense to me.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

Ditto from SA. Usually happens in small towns within San Antonio (as mentioned) or where there is a strong, vocal home owner's association, that has complained.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

Some of the incentive may be that many residential neighborhoods are really complaining about constant street parking, visual clutter, so many cars that emergency vehicles can't get through, etc. So could be that the HOA has asked HPD to intervene but they really can't unless something is a violation - so perhaps you got caught up in something like that.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful parking in Houston

I thought that kind of parking was illegal pretty much everywhere.