We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

We are planning on flying in and out of IAH for a trip to Mexico in September. Most of the hotels I have been looking at booking for the overnight stay, say that there are no restaurants nearby.

But we will need to eat dinner, so does anyone have an suggestions?

Would rather not do delivery, but would like a sit down type place.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

If you are looking at hotels on JFK Blvd or Will Clayton Parkway, your only dining options would be fast food restaurants, and there aren't that many. The Marriott hotel should have a restaurant.

Probably your best plan would be to eat along FM1960/Highway 59 area, and you would probably need a cab to get there, unless your hotel offer shuttle service.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

Maybe consider the old Sofitel (now a Crown Plaza). It has two good restaurants (one more like a cafe). Also Jimmy G's, just East of the hotel. This hotel is maybe 10 minutes from the airport and most probably has a shuttle.

I have not been to Jimmy G's for a long time, it used to be good (better than good) and no reason to think it has changed. The overall Greenspoint area has been going down so just does not go in that direction anymore. I did however go to the Crown Plaza 'cafe' a few months ago and it was as good when it was Sofitel.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure we will be OK once we arrive there.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

There are lots of new hotels near the airport; a new Hyatt Suites, and a bit further down, there is a Best Western and a Comfort Suites that get good ratings. Of course, the best place to find opinions is of course...Tripadvisor! :)

If you are looking for a good place to eat, try this family owned Italian place that is only about 10-12 minutes by cab:

http://www.italianosrestaurant.net/

All of their food is good, very generous portions,and their home made butter knot garlic rolls are Legendary! Great service and comfortable, but not stuffy or overly "theme-y" decor. They make the best cannoli since my Gramama's!

This hotel is close to the airport, and gets good ratings; read through the reviews and maybe you can see where they got good rates on these hotels. Looks like orbitz, and I like "cheapostay.com" and "bookit.com" for good rates:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56003-d108142-…

hope you enjoy your time in H-town.

cc,cupcake

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

Thanks Cupcaketoo, I actuall just booked the Clarion Inn yesterday. I did read all the reviews everywhere I could find them.

I think I got an awesome deal for the 2 rooms I need.

And I think there are few good restaurants nearby.

Thank everyone.

6. Re: Decent airport hotel with restaurants nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 05:16