We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to pearland/or other good commute to medical center

2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to pearland/or other good commute to medical center

My husband & I are looking to move to the Houston area this summer and plan to make a trip to look at homes in March/April. He will be commuting to Texas Children's Hospital/medical center. Pearland had been recommended because of the shorter commute. But, we have no idea what this community is like and would love any information/experience anyone can share. Also if there are any other areas you would recommend given the work location. We are living in Minnesota right now, but I'm originally from Austin. We are a younger couple with a one year old. Thanks!!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to pearland/or other good commute to medical center

We live in Pearland in Silvercreek. There is another area here called Silverlake, the subdivisions pretty much run into eachother, different HOA's and such. There are other subdivisions here too, Shadow Creek Ranch, Rodeo Palms but I'm not as familiar with them. Both Silvers are located very close to HWY 288, shopping center, movies etc... The commute to the Medical Center is good, maybe 20-30 minutes, seems like alot of our neighbors work there. It's a very nice quiet area, lots of kids and young families. We feel very safe here and bike around the area most days. I have attached our realtors site just because it's the one I know, but it will allow you to search all Houton listings. www.marthaturner.com. I would also advise that you join the Silverlake and Silvercreek groups on Yahoo, they will give you a great deal of insight on the area and the people. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help.

Good Luck

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to pearland/or other good commute to medical center

Pearland is a great area that is close to just about everything like; Reliant Stadium/Astrodome, what used to be 6 Flags astroworld, The Hights, The Montrose district, The Museum district, The Zoo, Richmond/Westhimer, The Galleria, Downtown, Toyota Center, Minuite Maid Balpark,and about 500 great resturants in between.

The area is not too far out, compared with other similar areas. SH 288 could use some help during rush hour (but what freeway does not nowadays?) I see your from Austin....I hope you remember the summers. Please do your husband a favor and brace him for some real heat.

Welcome in advance!! and in your case Welcome Back!

jyp
Pearland
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to pearland/or other good commute to medical center

There are lots of people who work at the medical center and live in the Pearland area. The area is growing very quickly. Four years ago when I bought my house, there was only a Target store and a Randall's. Now from the corner of 288 and 518 broadway all the way to Cullen and 518 Broadway is very well developed: Multiple restaurants,grocery stores, Home Depot, Best Buy, several montessori schools,daycares, gyms etc. The area is very safe and great for kids. It used to take me 22 minutes to go from my garage door to my parking garage in the medical center. Now peak traffic time commute is about 45 minutes. There are van pools available. I think 288 is the least congested commute of any of the suburbs, expecially if you work in the medical center. Shadow Creek is one exit closer to the medical center, although I don't know if it makes a difference. I live in Silverlake and have the advantage of taking Cullen to the med ctr when traffic is bad on 288.

Hope that helps.

jyp
Pearland
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to pearland/or other good commute to medical center

Ah, I forgot to tell you about www.har.com. It will allow you to search for homes with photo tours. (Houston association of realtors)