We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

Will be staying at a hotel (no car) while we visit Rice....any suggestions as to where to eat for a mom & high schooler?

We will visit the Museums, but does the 'district' have some cool shopping, coffee shops, book stores, etc?

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

Do some research on Rice Village - really nice, small shopping center with cool places to eat - if you like Vietnamese, Mai's (sp?) On the edge of downtown has awesome Spring rolls. The museums near Rice are neat to visit. The Galleria is also not far away from Rice - tons of places to eat in Houston. What kind of food do you all like?

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

Where are you staying? Depending upon that - you could take a few short cab rides to places where you can shop and eat. Galleria and Rice Village - pretty sure the Rice Village still has some cool bookstores

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

There are so many restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Rice Village so you should not have a problem. The 'center' is Kirby and Rice Blvd (and or U Blvd). Right there you have a nice Japanese (Kubo's) and a few more. Benjy's has two restaurants, I have only been to the other not the one at Rice Village - but the other is really good (good happy hour). Right along Morningside you will find a bunch more pub type places. Ginger Man's if you like beer.

South Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

OK...we are staying at the Hilton Plaza - near med cntr.....

as I am w/ my 16 yr old D, I will be looking for 'cool' bistros ...reasonable price , but interesting possibly regional type food....

I want her to have a little fun and see wht at the area offers re: places she might like...vintage shops, book stores, etc.etc. - sounds like Rice Village would be it...I will check a map.

thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

just a few ideas for food:

Cafe Adobe (just northwest of where you'll be): if they still have the seafood enchiladas - VERY good!

2111 Westheimer RoadHouston, TX 77098-1430

Get Directions

(713) 528-1468

http://www.ricevillageonline.com/dining.php

Nit Noi - in Rice Village - is decent Thai if you like Thai food - could be a cool experience for your child if they have never had

Nit Noi Thai Restaurant

(713) 521-2337, Houston, TX 77005 - Rice Village

if you want local food - you have to do BBQ. Unfortunately it's been many years since I have lived in Houston so I will defer to others to point you in the right direction for good BBQ in Houston.

There are many places to get coffee and hang out in Rice Village and on West Alabama Street just north of where you'll be.

Best advice is to constantly ask the locals while you walk around as to what they recommend

South Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

yes, Bar B Q sounds like a great idea...

any ideas within walking?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

Yes you will like Rice Village - you will find it all and in a relatively small area. As far as BBQ - Goode Co is not that far - but would be a long walk. It's on Kirby and Bartlett (I think).

8. Re: museum district - where to eat, what to do.....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 14:17