We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

Delano, Minnesota
Level Contributor
125 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

We are thinking of visiting Space Center Houston & the Astros home opener afterwards.

Is this a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio?

Thanks.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

Not for me, the round-trip drive is 7.5-8 hours.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 19:39
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

Last week we left our Riverwalk hotel at 6:00 am and drove the speed limit.

We encountered no slowdowns and hit south Houston 3 1/2 hrs later. If you

are energetic and would not have trouble driving through the countryside at night, it is doable. Might want to check TXDot for construction projects.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

It can be done and we have done it - but part of SA's atmospher is late at the river walk. So it is best to stay a night.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

We have been to the Space center from 9 am to 4 pm and we weren't bored....Don't want to this as a daytrip from SA.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

I read it wrong B4. You want to come from SA, NASA and Astros, then back. I wud not do it. RT SA to Houston 7 hrs. DT to NASA 2 more. NASA Say 4 hrs. Astros 3 to 4. You can figure, depends on how many drivers etc. Etc. Etc.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

Just went to Space Center Houston over the weekend. It is about a 25 to 30 minute drive from downtown. We were there for 2.5 hours; did the tram tour which takes 90 minutes and did a few hands-on exhibits. You could spend more time there if you wanted to see any of the movies, do a simulation etc. We arrived right at opening time and there were already people waiting to buy tickets. Parking is $6; then your admission fee covers most other things inside.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

Just an example but we live in Houston and visited Sea World in SA on a Saturday afternoon. Left Houston around 8 am, got to SeaWorld right after they opened and stayed till around 430/5pm which I think is a normal amount of time at any attraction and got back to Houston around 830pm. I couldnt imagine adding an additional stop into that mix. I would def plan to stay the night and break that up into 2 days. Maybe visit the space center one day and make an afternoon of it, followed by the astros the next. Good Luck!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

Day trip is doable - but to do an Astro's game and NASA I would probably spend the night. We were there last Saturday Night (did Bayou Art Fair then Round Top Antiques.) Used Priceline - $45 3-stars got aloft (trendy W hotel.) It was new and nice if not our style.

9. Re: Is Houston a reasonable daytrip from San Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 20:17