We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

Hello,

We will be in Houston for 4 nights (from Europe). NO CAR and my hubs and Iike to shop (not high end fashion etc) - more computer, home, general everyday Is Woodlands the area to be (or Galleria). We like to walk in the evenings, go to restaurants, and be in a safe area. Is woodlands good for 'walking around' with lots to see and do for 4 days - OR should we go to Galleria area?

I've tried to find the answers here but still confused. Once I know I can then look at hotels 'directly withing walking areas'. Any pointers much appreciated.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

The Woodlands is a high end residential suburban area 35 miles north of Center City Houston that has also built a number of retail shopping and restaurant areas in the last 15 years or so, along with office parks to attract white collar offices and the like. To the west of Houston about the same distance is a similar suburban area known as Katy, TX. There are others to the south and souhwest as well, but none of these other outlying suburbs advertises nearly as well as the Woodlands with claims they are a destination city.

My recommendation is to base yourselves in either Center City Houston (also known as downtown) or the Galleria area, unless you have friends or family in the Woodlands area or have a business activity to attend.

Mentioned in this post
Katy
Katy
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

I think you should reconsider the NO CAR. And if you for sure do not want to get a car then Galleria area for sure. Even within the Galleria area distances can be more than walking distance. For instance to cross the road it could be 4 to 6 to even 8 lanes. Crossings can be quite far - so you could end up walking well over a mile to get across and all roads do not have a sidewalk (pavement). It is best you stay West of 610 (the road). Say you go to a best buy or Fry's for electronics. The parking lots are hudge and even for you to go to the store next to it will be a lot of walking on the black top (so on a hot day can be really bad).

Public transport is somewhat limited but Galleria area does have some. Without transport I would say within the Galleria Mall or walking distance to the mall. Other than the main mall several other shops in the general vicinity and not all high end.

The Woodlands is a nice safe area, as is Sugarland, Westchase, Katy etc. but without transport it could be an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Katy
Katy
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

Thank you very much for confirming what I thought it could be. Therefore will take your suggestion and hire a car for the days we are there. Your lengthy reply very much appreciated, outlining everything so well.

Take care and thank you again!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

I also think you should seriously consider a car. There's just too much to do in a very large area and I can't see mapping out a 4-day stay in only one small area if you truly do want to see what Houston is about. I'm not sure people realize how much area there is to Houston until they've been here.

Edited: 10 April 2011, 17:05
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

This thread should help you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g56003-i148-k43123…

On the thread I gave a lengthy response (to another UK resident) explaining driving condition in Houston and where to stay. In short, I recommend driving. It is the best way to see the area and our city is driver friendly. I recommend staying in the Galleria or the Woodlands areas.

Of the two I prefer the Woodlands and think it is safer and less hectic than the Galleria (their can be a lot of construction in the Galleria area, and some tricky one way roads)

The Woodlands is a little further out but the drive into Houston is not bad as long as you avoid rush hour.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

Another thought I just had...is about the length of your stay. Four nights is longer than most travelers spend in Houston. We are not a tourist city. You might consider day trips to other nearby areas, like Galveston, Kemah, College Station (if there are any events going on at the university, Lake Charles, Austin, San Antonio.

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Kemah
Kemah
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
863 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

Great eclectic little shops and restaurants on 19th Street in the Heights!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

The Woodlands is a much better choice!

The Galleria area is difficult to get in and out of. The Woodlands is an easy quick drive to and from the airport.

The Galleria can be unsafe, especially in the garages. The Woodlands is one of the safest areas around Houston.

The Galleria can be "too" upscale and snotty. The Woodlands is adaptable with a good mix of indoor/outdoor and shopping/artistic things to do.

The Galleria is expensive. The Woodlands is not cheap, but you have more pricing variety so you can scrimp or splurge as you choose.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

I would also recommend staying outside the city centre

Lots of nice areas outside the loop but more residential

We love FRY's for electronics & other good stuff

We will be staying in Pearland but do have relatives in the area but lots of shopping close by & a short drive to Kemah, Galveston

Mentioned in this post
Pearland
Pearland
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Kemah
Kemah
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
10. Re: Done homework but confused still - help 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 13:16