We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in Houston, need help traveling around

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
first time in Houston, need help traveling around

Hi, I am from Singapore, this is my first time in Houston for vacation, for around 3 weeks. I am on quite a tight budget trip and worst still, I can't drive, any one out there can help me?

I had just arrived in Houston and I am currently staying near Hobby Airport area, planning to do some window shopping around, helping my friends to check out the shopping areas in Houston.

I planned to visit:

Houston Premium Outlets

29300 Hempstead Road, Cypress, Texas 77433

San Marcos Premium Outlets

3939 IH-35 South #900 San Marcos, Texas 78666

Burberry Boutique

5051 Westhimer Road, Houston, TX 77065

Gucci Boutique

5085 Westheimer Road, #2850, Houston, TX 77056-5654

Coach Boutique

1110 Willowbrook Mall, #1110, Houston, TX 77070

Kate Spade Boutique

5015 Westheimer Road, #2300, Houston, TX 77056-5610

I would really appreciate your help!!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in Houston, need help traveling around

Burberry and Coach are at the Houston Outlet Mall. You will need a car to get out there.

San Marcos outlets are between Austin and San Antonio, about a 3 1/2 hour drive away.

You could take public bus connections to get to the Westheimer stores, they would be at the Galleria.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in Houston, need help traveling around

The Premium Outlet malls have daily shopping tours leaving from various places in Houston. There have more details on their website

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in Houston, need help traveling around

Thanks for your reply. I was out the whole day yesterday, searching for public bus stops, waiting for the bus and yes, I went to the Galleria.

It's quite a challenge for first-timer like me, and there's no direct bus, need to alight at certain stops, walk and search for the next bus stop for transfer etc.. I was so confused with all the directions stuff.. haha luckily the bus captains are really nice, telling me when it's time to alight, showing me where's the next bus stop for transfer etc, really grateful for their help!

The next issue I have to on my hands is getting to San Antonio via maybe greyhound bus then to San Marcos via some shuttle rides for certain cost.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in Houston, need help traveling around

The San Marco outlet and Houston outlet are almost identical. I wouldn't bother with San Marcos since it is so far away.

There is a Coach store at the Galleria, Willowbrook, Woodlands, and the Houston Outlet malls.

There is a Burberry store at both the Galleria and the Houston Outlet mall.

There is also a Kate Spade store at the Houston outlet mall.

Sounds like you could get all your shopping done at one place: either the Galleria or the Houston Outlet mall. Have a great time!

Edited: 27 June 2011, 17:41
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in Houston, need help traveling around

What brought you to Houston? Is there any particular reason that you chose to vacation here?

If you're going to spend so much time in Texas, you MUST go to San Antonio. It has some of the best things that Texas has to offer a tourist. When do you return to Singapore?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in Houston, need help traveling around

It would be nice if you could visit the San Antonio area. Fiesta Texas, and Sea World, or Schlitterbahn might interest you. There is also a Schlitterbahn in Galveston which is much closer to your location. Less than an hour away.

It sounds like shopping is important to you too. So by all means head to the outlet mall. If you go to the information desk you can get a coupon book that has great deals for all the outlet stores. I think it costs $5. Good Luck!

7. Re: first time in Houston, need help traveling around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Houston
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor