We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel between Houston and Dallas

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel between Houston and Dallas

Husband and myself arriving in Houston 14 September and driving first up to Dallas/Fort Worth.

As we are arriving about 2.30pm and have to clear customs/pick up rental car etc. we were just thinking of driving a bit out of Houston on the way up to Dallas, checking into a hotel,have a swim to refresh ourselves as we will be 6 hours ahead of local time and then walking to a restaurant for a meal before retiring probably very tired.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that has a choice of a few restaurants and hotels but a bit more local flavour than the usual freeway stop-offs.I was looking at The Woodlands area but thought I would post this to see if anyone recommends anywhere else.

Thanks in advance

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

The Woodland is a great area. There are lots of hotels/restuarants/shopping within walking distance of each other. Try the Marriott Waterway, Avia (a new boutique hotel), Hilton Garden Inn, and the Residence Inn on Six Pines Drive to get you started.

Conroe and Huntsville will be regular freeway stop offs. Corsicana may be your next best bet, but that would be a long drive for you, probably about 3 hours north of Houston.

Welcome to Texas!!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

The Woodlands does have a lot to offer for a one night stay, but it's not terribly far from the airport. However, you would be able to relax, stretch your legs--it's nice walking along the waterway--and have a good night's sleep. When we return from trips to England we find that, due to the time differences, we wake up pretty early here for the first few days. Staying at The Woodlands would be a nice introduction to the area, and you could get an early start the next day for your drive to Dallas.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

I'll make a third recommendation for The Woodlands. I love going there for the weekend! Lots of shopping and restaurants. Be sure to stroll around Market Street.

http://www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com/

Of the hotels I've stayed at in The Woodlands (Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard Marriott, and the Residence Inn on Lake Front Circle), the Residence Inn on Lake Front Circle has been my favorite. The Residence Inn on Six Pines would be more within walking distance to shops and restaurants, and the Marriott is right there on the waterway. However, those two hotels are more expensive than the others. The driving time from the other hotels to shops and restaurants is minimal, e.g. maybe 5 minutes.

Hope you enjoy your time in Texas!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

Hi

Thanks for all of your input.

I have tried the Avia and they have a three night minimum stay.The Marriott Waterway is full and the Hilton Garden Inn and Residence Inn Six Pines are coming up between 150 and 165 GBP which seems quite a lot for those hotels.I have read a few negative things about the Courtyard Marriott so am put off staying there.Will keep looking nearby.

I know I am going to love Texas because we were only there a couple of years ago,but this time we are going to start up in Dallas/Fort Worth to visit the Stockyards and the new Cowboys stadium and then go via Austin and San Antonio where we previously visited and maybe try Corpus Christi before we head back to Galveston/Houston for the last couple of days flying out on the evening of the 25th September.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

The rates should be around 150 USD not GBP. That seems high for Hilton Garden Inn - you might want to double check.

As the other have mentioned The Woodlands is a nice place - but only 30 mts from the airport.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

If you're going to be eager for rest and relaxation, then find a hotel in The Woodlands. If you want to get some miles behind you, stay in Hunstville. The Woodlands is much nicer.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

Another hotel around there is the Drury Inn. An exit north and south of there is a Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have double checked hotels,including tax. The Hilton Garden Inn is 259 USD and the Residence Inn Six Pines is 238 USD for their normal rooms.I think because we are not going to be hanging around for long that we will probably go for the Drury Inn.We have previously stayed in one in San Antonio and it was more than adequate.

Now off to try and sort out the rest of the trip and hotels.Wish me luck!

9. Re: Hotel between Houston and Dallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 08:17