We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

six hour layover at intercontinental airport

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burnaby British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
six hour layover at intercontinental airport

Any suggestions for a six hour layover at the intercontinental? Is there time to go into town? Are there things to do nearby for a few hours?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

You could go into Houston, depending on your flight times. What times? International connection?

What are some interests? Shopping, museums, etc.

Burnaby British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

My interests would be to see some of the countryside, go for a walk or hike. We are not really interested in shopping malls but might like to see small interesting towns to have lunch or a museum. Our layover spans time from noon to six pm. while we wait for our international flight. Any thoughts? Is there enough time to go into Houston as it looks like 1 hour 15 each way.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

To get into central Houston, it would only take about 45 minutes by car or taxi. But between clearing customs and travel back just at the start of rush hour traffic and checkin, you may get stressed and not enjoy the trip.

I would probably suggest a short trip north into The Woodlands. You could walk on trails there near the Mall, and visit Market Street for a bit of shopping and dining. There are places you can eat outside if the weather is good.

http://marketstreet-thewoodlands.com/

Unfortunately, the countryside is too far away on this short stopover.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

If your international flight leaves at 6, then you may only have until 4 to do anything, depending on your airline's requirements about when you must be at the gate, so you would also have to factor in the travel time.

The Woodlands is a nice area--your problem would be getting there and getting back to the airport. You could take a cab to someplace like the Marriott Waterway Hotel--right across from the mall, waterway is a nice strolling area, lots of restaurants nearby. I'm not sure about taxis back to the airport--you could call the Marriott and find out about that; see if there are normally cabs standing by outside or if one would have to be called. I've looked at some car services and it's about $45 to the airport from the Woodlands. Also, what would you do with your hand luggage?

Another option would be check with Continental (don't know when you will be at IAH, so it could be United by then) to see about any day passes to the President's Club as a place to wait.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

Definitely the closest two areas would be either The Woodlands, a great suburb just north of Houston or the mid-town Washington corridor near downtown. The Woodlands has trails throughout and there's Memorial Park in mid-town. Both areas have great restaurants. Remember, Houston is very large and very hot this time of year, so I wouldn't stress myself trying to do too much. For a "real" taste of Texas hills, etc., you would have too far of a drive to see it in your short timeframe.

Burnaby British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

Thanks everyone for great suggestions. Just have to work out the transportation details.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

Your best bet is to take it easy and relax at the airport. A taxi will cost you more than $100 RT to The Woodlands. The bus to DT is out of the question due to the time constraints. If you go to The Woodlands you will have 2 hours at the most to do whatever. Terminal C and E have decent eating / drinking places.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

Kingwood (prior post) is spot on. Stay in the terminal is my recommendation. Jack

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

I have spent a lot of time in IAH between flights. There's plenty of shops and restaurants to keep you busy. Get a cold drink and watch some sports on TV. Good luck.

10. Re: six hour layover at intercontinental airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 18:15