We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 Days in Houston....Suggest what to do (NASA Included)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1.5 Days in Houston....Suggest what to do (NASA Included)

I and my wife are planning a weekend getaway to Houston. We stay in Dallas and hence will be driving our car to Houston. I believe it is like 4-5 hours drive from Dallas.

We want to see the NASA and everything else related to that.

What else is there to see in Houston ?

We plan to leave on a Friday evening / early saturday morning and leave back for Dallas on Sunday afternoon-evening (so we reach back before it is dark).

Please suggest.

PS: We may plan to travel any weekend in next 2 months

Edited: 14 October 2011, 22:03
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 Days in Houston....Suggest what to do (NASA Included)

Since NASA seems to be your priority, drive directly there from Dallas. There is a six dollar fee for parking at Space Center Houston. Check the website for discounts on admission and lists and times of movies, shows, etc. I would go directly to the area where the tram tour loads and do that first, then any movies or exhibits that you want to see.

After you finish at Space Center Houston, you have two options. Many people enjoy the Kemah Boardwalk area--restaurants, a few shops and some rides. Depending on the time of day you could have a meal here. Another option is to go to Galveston. You could do this after Kemah or instead of Kemah. There are lots of things to see and do in Galveston--some research on the web would tell you if you would be interested in anything there. Galveston could be a good place for you to overnight.

If you prefer, after NASA you could head back to Houston, and stay in a hotel in the Galleria area--lots of restaurants and shopping there.

On the Sunday before you go back to Dallas, you could go to Hermann Park, where the zoo, a lovely garden, and the Museum of Natural History are located, among other things. There are also several other museums in the area, including the Fine Arts Museum, if you like museums.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 Days in Houston....Suggest what to do (NASA Included)

I am with the previous post. After NASA, Kemah and Galveston, night in Galveston. Then you can do as above or spend the day (Sun) in Galveston. Take the ferry to Bolivar, go to Moody Gardens, the historical buildings, I think the train museum is still there too. You will not have time to cover it all. Add another 90 mts or so for the trip back to Dallas.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 Days in Houston....Suggest what to do (NASA Included)

My wife and I recently went out to Kemah for a nice meal. While we were there we met a group visiting from England - they were happy to have "discovered" Kemah and as others have said, it's a great match for a Nasa visit.

If you are interested, I took a few photos at Kemah: https:/…2011NightOutAtKemah02

4. Re: 1.5 Days in Houston....Suggest what to do (NASA Included)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:19