We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best chicken fried steak?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best chicken fried steak?

Need suggestions for best chicken fried steak-from steak to coating to gravy to sides-near Friendswood--but willing to travel a bit if worth it.

Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

Goodson's cafe in Tomball - you're looking about an hour drive since it is all the way across Houston, but its the best hands down.

Closer to you, you can go with Kelly's the steaks are good and more importantly huge!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

Top of my list is Live Oak Grille, 12935 Dairy Ashford, Sugar Land, 281-491-5253. They have a web site with location details and the list.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,881 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

Just in Houston and there also last February. In February we ate at Hickory Hollow. They had great BBQ and Chicken Fried Steak.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

Barbecue inn, Hickory Hollow, Rio Ranch and Goodson's in that order.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

Hi Rhonda,

I'm going to vote for Goodson's. We went in late July this year, though we hadn't been to Goodson's in close to a year. It was very good; we split the smaller cfs, mashed potatoes and black eyed peas, so we could share dessert.( it comes with some good rolls and bread..add sweet tea, and I'm almost full when our dinner arrives! Service is good here, and the atmosphere casual and fun.

Max's Wine Dive on Washington does a good "cfs with a pedigree"--good wine, nice staff, and a wicked good grilled cheese here, too.

One trick I've learned as a 3rd gen Texan:always ask for the cream gravy on the side, to avoid the "bark" (fried coating) from getting soggy until you can finish the steak!

Wherever you go, enjoy!

cc,

Cupcake

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

The Houston Press recently voted Ousie's the best, and reader's choice was Hickory Hollow. I've never been to Hickory Hollow, but sounds like I need to check it out.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

Thank you all for all of the great suggestions-business trip there has been delayed for a few weeks but will take note of all suggestions and make at least one or two of these. I will have to plot them on a map from hotel and then judge based on location and ratings you gave me. I would try out every one of them but travel buddies claim we gotta do some Tex-Mex a couple of nites too!

8. Re: Best chicken fried steak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 05:18