We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Houston

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Houston

I am coming to Houston for work in mid-December, but staying the weekend as I've never been before. I am looking for input on a few things:

1. Mid-week dinner downtown (staying at the Hyatt Regency- I will have a car but prefer to walk if there is something good in walking distance, and it's a safe area after dark)

2. Where to stay Friday night - I should be done with work around 4pm, and on Saturday plan to visit the Menil Collection, Rothko Chapel and the Space Center.

3. Where to stay Saturday night - would it be worth heading out to Galveston for the night after the Space Center visit? My flight Sunday is at 4pm, so I only have half a day Sunday to look around.

4. Meals Friday and Saturday night.

For meals - I eat almost anything and would pay around $30 for an entree.

Many thanks.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Houston

Question 2: I would just stay at the Hyatt Downtown, no sense changing hotels

Question 3: I'd head to Galveston for Saturday night. Try the Tremont Hotel on the historical Strand or along the seawall at the Hilton, Hotel Galvez, San Luis, Holiday Inn Resort. check www.galveston.com for things of interest to you.

Question 4: Galveston restaurants: Gumbo Bar (seafood), The Spot (variety), Mosquito Cafe (variety) and Mario's (Italian).

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Houston

You can try the spindle top on the top floor of Hyatt for one dinner and maybe McCormick's. The restaurant at Four season is good too. For something different Treebeards (Cajun) would be great - the only thing is the one close to the hotel (in a church) is only open for lunch. Rajun Cajun is not too far (but will have to drive and parking is no issue) is another you might want to try.

It just would make more sense to stay at the Hyatt on Friday too. If it is work and pleasure I am sure they can do the Fri night under a different tab.

I think I would do NASA Galveston on Sat and then Menil and Rothko Sun morn on the way back to the airport. Another option is to stay around Kemah rather than Galveston.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Houston

Don't forget about the lovely Kemah Boardwalk. It's fun and lot's of shops and restaurants.

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

As "Kingwood" said, you could also stay around Kemah or Clear Lake where NASA is.

Gaido's Seafood restaurant in Galveston is on my fav's list!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Houston

I agree with Kingwood about Saturday--with your timing, be at Space Center Houston when it opens on Saturday, then go have lunch at one of the places at the Kemah Boardwalk. Drive on to Galveston for the rest of Saturday and spend the night there. The Rothko Chapel opens at 10 on Sunday morning; opening time for the Menil is 11:00. Since you probably need to be back at the airport by about 1:30 or so to return the car and check in 2 hours prior to your flight, this timing will work well for you.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Houston

Hi - You'll have a bit of a dark and desolate walk to the restaurants from the Hyatt. If you stayed at the Hilton Americas you would be closer to Houston's Discovery Green park - really nice restaurant there called The Grove. Also close to Houston Pavilions with several nice restaurants. Galveston is dead at night so driving for night time only activities kind of a bust. Perhaps stay in Clear Lake or Nassau Bay near the Space Center. Kemah Boardwalk is a series of restaurants located on the waterfront with a few shops. Nice family place to go. If you finish at the space center at a reasonably early time, then you could drive to Galveston for the duration of the day and then come back to your hotel near the space center (which also gives you a shorter commute back to the airport and some decent restaurants for dinner. A fabulous tucked away restaurant in Seabrook (about 5 miles from space center) is Merlion Thai - open for dinner only. Of course, if your plans are to do museums and space center on Saturday and then go to Galveston for the evening so that you can look around on Sunday, then I agree with the above poster about staying at the Tremont in the Strand area. Drive to Mosquito Cafe. I also like Olympia Grill on the Pier - walking distance from Tremont.

Edited: 05 December 2011, 03:58
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Houston

Hi Kate,

You might consider this bed and breakfast; per the TA reviews, it's wonderful!

http://modernbb.com/

Modern is also on the verge of Midtown, which is a cool area you can explore by foot; it is safe, just be aware at night, as you would anywhere. Easy to walk or drive to the great bars and restaurants.

Here is some Midtown info:

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/

Ibiza is a great restaurant in the area, as well as Christians Tailgate for burgers or Thursday steak night, and lots of great bars..look up for rooftop bars, to enjoy our city view, as you have a cocktail.

You might also enjoy the Washngton Avenue area; it's a long street with lots of places to enjoy. You might enjoy Laurenzo's with it's casual/nice atmosphere and great, reasonable food. The Best burger and fries in H-town, and prime rib quesadilla..wow! Great waitstaff, too!

Laurenzo's:

http://laurenzos.net/ The Laurenzo family is a Houston legend!

I agree in Galveston, the Strand is fun, especially the Sunflower Bakery and Cafe for a great breakfast or lunch (and treats to carry on the flight home!):

http://www.thesunflowerbakeryandcafe.com/

The Spot on the seawall (the open bar part,to the right as you face the front of the Spot (which is 2 restaurants in one)..great for a drink and a beautful view of the Gulf.http://www.islandfamous.com/

Here are some good Galveston hotel deals

dealbase.com/Galveston-hotel-deals-discounts…

Be sure to check out the reviews here on TA, before you book!

For a great view of Houston, and good martinis,too, don't forget to head to the Hilton Americas before sunset one day, and go to the top floor Sky Bar..love the view..and our beautiful Texas sunsets!

Hope this helps,

enjoy H-town!

cc,

cupcake

taizhou
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Houston

is it houston a good traveling place?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Houston

If you can swing going to midtown (take the rail or a very short cab ride), you should go to Reef. It's a seafood restaurant that's very trendy and has fantastic food. It was rated the #1 seafood restaurant in the nation by Bon Appetit magazine.

http://reefhouston.com/

Also, just be aware of your surroundings at night both downtown and midtown. Downtown is usually fairly empty at night unless there is a sporting event. Midtown is a transitional area with both very nice, new areas and some not-so-nice areas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Houston

thanks all.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Houston

Going to Houston in January for a business. Are there any indoor attraction for 3-4 hours? P.S. I don't consider Galleria as an attraction.