We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Activities

Marrero, Louisiana...
3 posts
Save Topic
Family Activities

I am driving to Houston from New Orleans with my 2 kids, I would love to know some good places to take them. I would love to stay near Galleria so we can do some shopping and need a family friendly hotel.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Activities

How old are your kids? When will you be here?

We have the zoo, tons of museums, Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston for a day trip, ice-skating at the Galleria, Mountasia (mini-golf, go carts, batting, arcades), Main Event (bowling, arcades, etc), Discovery Green.

Lots of hotels to chose from near the Galleria. Drury Inns, Sheraton Suites, Residence Inn and Hampton Inn & Suites just to name a few.

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Activities

There are so many hotels and motels in the Galleria area and two within the mall. It all depends on what you prefer. The only thing about the hotels in the Galleria area and downtown, the parking is high.

Things to do - again depends on what you like and the kids ages and when you plan to be here and how long. Childrens museum, ice skating at the galleria mall, story telling at a library, Kemah Boardwalk, Discovery Park to name a few. If you leave more specific info the Houston group can be more specific.

Marrero, Louisiana...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Activities

Thanks, I'm going from 12/26-12/30. My girls are 4 and 10. We love to shop, eat, and walk. How we'll have our car I can stay a little further. I would love to stay near walking or close distant to good restaurant. I would like to take my girls to the aquarium if is worth it. The hotel its self don't have to be too upscale because we'll probably not spend much time in it.

Marrero, Louisiana...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Activities

Thanks, I'm going from 12/26-12/30. My girls are 4 and 10. We love to shop, eat, and walk. How we'll have our car I can stay a little further. I would love to stay near walking or close distant to good restaurant. I would like to take my girls to the aquarium if is worth it. The hotel its self don't have to be too upscale because we'll probably not spend much time in it.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Activities

If you have time, go to Galveston and check out Moody Gardens - they have an excellent aquarium there. The Houston Aquarium is more like a restaurant. I've read of tourists being disappointed when expecting an actual aquarium.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Activities

I agree with the Houston Aquarium....not worth it.

Here are some more ideas: www.visithoustontexas.com/events-list…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Activities

Kids will enjoy the children's museum, zoo (and aquarium), kemah boardwalk, Moody Gardens, Discovery Park. Houston is so spread out that you will drive regardless. Clear Lake area might be a good place to stay if you plan to go to Kemah and Galveston (Moody).

8. Re: Family Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 10:19