We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
592 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

We are an active, childless couple (love both biking, hiking) who also love culture and art. If we fly into Houston, which area is best for outside activities or is there some other "driving distance" spot you would recommend. The Strand sounds interesting, could do NASA (although we did Kennedy Space Center) and love good dining, cocktailing (more wine/cocktail lounge type versus pubs). Any suggestions to help us plan a quick January getaway would be appreciated. We are comparing options in Texas versus Jacksonville, FL area -- both have good flight deals!

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

Here are a few food options for places I consider pretty cool. funtravelandfood.com/search/…20area

If you are interested in learning a little cowboy history, i suggest visiting the George Ranch and take a guided tour.

http://www.georgeranch.org/

Good luck.

Edited: 28 December 2011, 23:21
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

The only drawback about Hou/Galveston vs. Jacksonville, Fl is that it could be 75 degrees or 28 on the day you pick to fly into Houston. Our winters are crazy. A/C on one day and heater on the next. If it was me, I'd pick Jacksonville. In my opinion, the weather odds might be better.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

It has been several years since I was in Jacksonville, so cannot really make a comparison other than to say Houston is a much larger and diversified city. The weather can go up and down but in Hou / Gal the sun should be out and very rarely will it be in the 40's during the day - sweater weather for ppl from Milwaukee!

Galveston (Strand), Kemah is fun. You get hundreds of eateries (fine dining) in Houston and also some wine lounges. Kemah is also to ppl watch eat and drink by the water. If you are into music maybe a visit to Austin. It is only 3 hours but if you go at night should be an overnight. Bottom line - you will have more than enough things to do for a 'getaway'.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

If you are runners, you might want to check out one runs for the Chevron Houston Marathon, 713-957-3453 or www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/index.cfm on January 15, 2012.

The 26.2, 13.1 and 3.1 mile runs, begin and end at downtown's George R. Brown Convention Center. Estimated 20,000 entrants and 200,000 spectators.

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

For some fine cocktails, check out Anvil. Does get fairly crowded, so I suggest you go before 7pm.

…blogspot.com/2009/07/anvil-houstons-best-ba…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

I love Houston! I don't know when you are coming and how long you are staying but you can purchase a Houston City Pass at http://www.citypass.com/houston it will get you a discount to 5 attractions in the area at a discounted rate. I've done this for other cities and it's been a great deal. It includes Johnson Space Center but doesn't include the Level 9 tour which is more of a behind the scenes tour. I haven't done this because we've had kids under 14 with us when we went. I think the adults had more fun there than the kids at NASA! In Houston, there are several free art museums like the Contemporary Art Museum, Rothko Chapel, Menil Collection and the Cy Twombly. The Museum of Fine Arts Houston is also pretty awesome, I've been there a few times, it's quite extensive. The zoo in Houston really sucks, avoid that place. It's small and quite dated. The Downtown Aquarium is nice, it has a few rides also. It's within walking distance of the Hard Rock Cafe. Kemah is on Galveston Bay, not far from Johnson Space Center and has several theme park rides and several good seafood restaurants.

I spent a long weekend in Galveston a few weeks ago. The Strand was not that exciting, a bunch of touristy junk shops mainly. There are some nice turn of the 20th century mansions there, like the Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion. Also you might like Moody Gardens, I haven't been since Hurricane Ike in 2008 and I only went to the tropical jungle pyramid. The hurricane made sure that pyramid was totally remodeled. If you're in to botanical gardens and such you will like Moody Gardens. I just love Galveston, so much to see and do even in the Winter, also a lot of good restaurants. Some of the hotels in Galveston let you use their bicycles to ride around Galveston. You can also rent segways, or the party bikes along Seawall Blvd.

If you chose Houston, there's a lot to see and do. I can't really comment on Jacksonville because I've only driven through there on the way to better destinations.

7. Re: Houston/Galveston -- first time for active couple???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:21