We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking public transportation to NASA

savtafredel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking public transportation to NASA

Hello,

Based on a post from 2008, and looking at current METRO bus schedules, it appears that there may actually be viable public transportation between downtown Houston and NASA that would give me 3 or 4 hours there (bus number 249 to NASA in the morning, and bus number 246 back in the afternoon). Does anyone know how far it would be to walk from the bus stop at NASA to the actual visitor center? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

Once I read that there was a private bus (but never able to verify it) to NASA but other than that no metro. The one you mentioned is the park & ride and it is a long walk. You might be able to call a taxi (yellow cab) and have them pick you at the park & ride and take you to the visitors center. To me 3 to 4 hours is not suffcient to check it all out, but I know some say that is more than enough time. The best bet might be to rent a car for the day.

savtafredel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

The METRO buses, according to the current schedule on their website, do seem to have stops at the Space Center itself (routes 246 and 249), although the buses are not that frequent; I think that the 249 goes out there in the morning, and the 246 comes back in the afternoon. After posting here, I also emailed NASA and asked how far those bus stops are from the NASA visitor center, and they responded the next day, saying, "The metro stop is actually right outside our doors so it is very convenient for our guests to visit us." If I end up trying this, I'll post here afterwards.

Thanks again, and have a happy new year!

Mentioned in this post
Space Center Houston
Space Center Houston
7,482 Reviews
Houston, TX
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

Just be careful. If it is a "Park & Ride" you have to make sure you don't miss the last one back to downtown. I use Park & Ride now and then in Austin and they don't run as frequently as a regular bus. They are made for people who, for instance, live in Clear Lake and don't want to drive the long trip to Downtown.

Just my 2 cents!

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

Thanks for letting us know about the Metro to NASA.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
40 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

After stumbling on this thread, I'm eager to hear how the original poster "survived" using METRO for his/her NASA trip.

Please do report back!

savtafredel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

I've just returned from Houston, and wanted to confirm that it definitely IS possible to take public transportation to the NASA visitor's center. The bus routes that go all the way to the visitor's center are the numbers 246 and 249. They run approximately once an hour, and take about an hour from downtown Houston. I took a number 249 that brought me to the space center about 5 minutes before opening time. The stop is not directly at the front door, but less than a minute's walk away. You need to study the schedule of both of those routes (at www.ridemetro.org), to figure out which route will fit your plans. There is, for example, a number 246 bus back at 3:00, which gives you a full five hours at NASA, if you are there at opening time.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
savtafredel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

Well, since someone wanted to know how I 'survived', I'll tell more of the story. My time in Houston was limited, and the only day that I could get to NASA was on Monday, Jan. 9th (2012). The ride there was perfect, and I arrived right before they opened. I knew that they were expecting rain, and that I'd get wet if I took the tram ride, but I had a poncho, so 'what the heck'! When I arrived, I was told that due to the weather -- chances of thunderstorms -- the first tram ride might be at noon, the earliest. Well, I wasn't inside the visitor's center for more than 15 minutes, when my son -- who lives in Houston -- phoned to tell me stay indoors: a TORNADO WATCH had been issued!! To make a long story short, I did get a (very wet!) tram ride at 1:30, when they started running again. When the tram ride ended, I raced to the exit and saw the 3:00 bus pull away. No big deal. I went back inside, rested a bit, and went back out to catch a 3:49. Well, there had been a humongous amount of rain during the day; roads were flooded; it made national news. So, the 3:49 got stuck, but I did catch a 4:36 bus (which was running right on time), and I was back in Houston before 5:30. Can't blame the Metro for for the weather, so I would still recommend taking the bus: $2.00 each way; how can you beat that???

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

Thanks for posting all the details on your experience. It should be helpful to many others who wish to use public transportation to travel to NASA.

savtafredel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

My pleasure!

10. Re: Taking public transportation to NASA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 10:18