We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

Hi

I'm going to be in Houston and wandered if I should bring the family out for just under a week, for a short vacation in mid Feb?

Basically kids like the beach, the Mrs like shopping :-(

I pay the bills!!

Looks like Galveston or Texas City are within reach after I have finished, don't want too long a drive, so was thinking of heading there.

Any help, suggestions if you have the time would be gratefully received.

Basic questions, is it safe with a young family? Will it be shorts and sweater weather?

Cheers

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

We are having a mild winter this year, but things can change quickly. The weather is fairly unpredictable unfortunately, the best we can advise is check the forecast just before you come. We are currently in shorts near 80 F, but will be in the 60's F this next week. Sorry!

Galveston would be great, and so would Kemah Boardwalk. Texas City doesn't really offer anything to the visitor.

In Galveston, your wife can shop the Strand. Play at the beach or Schlitterbahn waterpark. At Kemah boardwalk, there are amusement rides, arcades, restaurants, some shopping.

http://kemahboardwalk.com/

www.galveston.com

Welcome to Houston!!

dcoletexas1
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

Good advice above, but Galveston is not the pretty blue water you may have seen in Florida or Mexico. Be prepared for that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

Wow. Thanks for such quick replies. Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I was a little put off with some of the reviews I read about Galveston but for a week it sounds ok? My family love the States full stop, so to try and squeeze in a visit, this sounds as though it may work. We love the food and people and if we can sit on a beach for a few hours a day, even in shorts and a sweater, that would be good. It was 24f here last night so Texas sounds warm.

Any other tips etc would be great!

I'll have to find a damn shopping mall nearby to keep the Mrs happy.......Texas City I presume has some?

Cheers from Britain

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

There is a mall near Texas City......Baybrook Mall.

Glad to hear your family will be joining you on your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

Thanks KNR...it'll be nice to have some downtime....as long as they don't shop toooooo much!

Just looking at google earth and trying to see different places etc.

Cheers

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

Hi C,

Mardi Gras Galveston! Here is a link to the festical website, and I know they have some great daytime parades that focus on children:

mardigrasgalveston.com/seawall/parades.asp

this goes right to the parade schedule, but go back to their home page for total info on MG2012. My kids always Loved catching Throws (beads, small toys, cups, dubloons),,me too! :)

Here is a website that's just fun to Look at..and I think it might give you some ideas, by area:

http://www.familyfunhouston.com/

I love Galveston, as do my kids. If it's warmer (which it can be,as said here before), then your kids can dip their toes in the Gulf. The further away from the Seawall you get in Galveston (the main drag), the nicer the water is! When you drive up on to Seawall Blvd, go to your right, drive about 15 minutes, and stop in Jamiaca Beach or Pirates Beach, at the public beach access points there. Wide, clean beaches, and room for the kids to run.

The aquarium at Moody Gardens in Galveston is Great..amazing penguin habitat! Then you can all head down to the historic Strand area, and stop for a bite at the Sunflower Bakery and Cafe:

http://www.thesunflowerbakeryandcafe.com/

It's fun to walk around The Strand area, and you can head down to the waterfront area there; might be a Navy vessel docked...always impressive!

Houston also has one of the Best Children's Museums anywhere (it's on that link's map)m as well as the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Museum of Natural History, which is always great, too!

http://www.hmns.org/

Our Zoo is top notch, as well..if you are going there, go when they open, as that's when they feed the animals, and they're all out, awake and chipper.

For shopping, there's the Galleria (plenty for kids there too, including the ice skating rink), or heading to Harwin Street, to shop for fun blingy jewelry, luggage,shawls, purses..well, you Name it ,at 9700 Harwin.(that's the address, but I think it's actually called Harwin Shopping Plaza, though 9700 Harwin is the most prominent part of the sign) This is an indoor, 2story structure that houses a great cross-section of what Harwin offers, and the prices are great.

When everyone is starving, head to Barnaby's on W. Gray for amazing burgers and fries, lasagna, salads, and home-made strawberry lemonade. Portions are Texas sized, so you can share bites and try many of the dishes. Great brownie/ice cream dessert, too!

http://www.barnabyscafe.com/

The decor is fun for everyone, but it's definitely comfortable and casual for adults, too. They have multiple locations, but our favorite is the one at 414 W. Gray. Love the waitstaff, great attitudes!

For restaurants by the area of town you will be in, and also to specify outdoor patio, kid friendly, etc, go to:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/

scroll down on the lft hand column on that first page, to the red lettered heading that says "User Requests" to find these places.

You also can't beat the real reviews on Anything H-town, here on Tripadvisor! :)

Hope y'all have fun..Def bring the family!

cc,

Cupcake

Edited: 04 February 2012, 15:45
London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

I can't believe how great you all have been with all that info....it really does take the pressure off when guys like you write this stuff!

I can't thank you enough!

So kind.

Cheers

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

Prego,Cash!

I can't tell you how many times the Forums on Tripadvisor, the honest reviews, and all of the great info here, has saved our vacation, And made it even Better!

It's a pleasure to help y'all enjoy this wonderful city.

cc,

Cupcake

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

We love the way you all say y'all!

Brilliant!

Cheers

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for a 1st time Brit please??!!

I love your "Way Out" signs!!!