We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Houston for the beach

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
748 posts
335 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Houston for the beach

Thinking of flying into Houston and then hanging out on the beach for a few days. What is the best option - Galveston?

Thanks!

G Man

QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Houston for the beach

If you are coming strictly for the beach you might consider Surfside, TX. The rates are lower and the beaches are more accessible. There are few businesses in the area but there are a couple of very friendly restaurants. It's the perfect place for kicking back on the beach.

If you are looking for a place with more options for things to do or dining out, Galveston is your best bet. It offers attractions, restaurants, nightlife and other more urban distractions in addition to the beach.

For either location you will need a car. I hope you have a great trip!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Houston for the beach

I completely agree with the above post.

But if you are coming and expecting beautiful blue or green water, or white sand beaches, you will be disappointed....our waters here are brownish colored. Still a lovely place to visit though.

Don't forget the sunscreen

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Houston for the beach

Hi,

Respectfully, I'm going to disagree with knr; my girl pals and I went to Pirate's Beach last October, and were amazed at how beautiful and clear the water was..it Was blue! Not, not Cozumel blue, but really nice. I think, mainly, it depends on the lack of storms or winds, which kick up the brown sand into the water, so, yes, then it Is brown-ish. Yet, I spent my youth, and many days since then, enjoying Galveston.

This is a nice rental near the beach:

http://www.vrbo.com/302393

It's good to stay further out, like Jamaica Beach or Pirates Beach; the lifestyle is casual, and there are some small grocery stores and restaurants nearby, or you can drive the 15 minutes back to the Seawall, and head to The Spot, for a drink and a burger, watching the waves.

It's probably best to rent a car, and bring your gps; the driving in Galveston is easy. Go down to the Strand to stroll and have breakfast or lunch at the Sunflower Bakery and Cafe:

http://www.thesunflowerbakeryandcafe.com/

Out near the beaches I mentioned, is a fun little bar that's right near the water:

Woody's:http://www.yelp.com/biz/woodys-bar-galveston

Very casual, laid back and definitely Texas style.

You can also go to Moody Gardens for the Aquarium, and there are many good restaurants and a cigar bar on the Strand, for night time activities, too.

Just mho, but I think having your coffee in the morning, as you walk the beach and watch the gorgeous sunrise is a Great way to relax. Hope you enjoy your trip.

cc,

Cupcake

Edited: 23 March 2012, 13:44
Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Houston for the beach

I would pick Galveston over Surfside - Galveston has more of a city to go with the beach -- more restaurants, little shops, etc.

5. Re: Coming to Houston for the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Houston