We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend my day in Houston?

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend my day in Houston?

I'm tagging along on my husband's business trip to the Houston/Galveston area in late May 2012. He'll be attending a conference on Monday and I'm looking for an area that he can drop me off in that has a lot to offer that I can walk to on my own. Need to kill 8-10 hours (approx. 9am-7pm) by myself in a safe area with places to eat lunch/dinner. Was thinking of the Museum District. Any suggestions?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend my day in Houston?

The museum district would be good or the Galleria area if you wanted to shop.

If y'all are staying downtown, you could even catch the metrorail to the museum district. www.ridemetro.org

Welcome to Houston!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend my day in Houston?

Yes the museum district would be a good idea unless it is hot. Then I would hang around the nice comfortable Galleria mall.

QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend my day in Houston?

You might consider spending the morning in the Museum District, taking in the Museum of Fine Arts and/or the Museum of Natural Science. Both are lovely and there is a small cafe at the MFAH. There's even a new MFAH/Food Truck program!

You could visit the Houston Zoo which is also very nice or stroll through Hermann Park but you might find the heat a little oppressive.

In late afternoon you could take MetroRail into downtown Houston. You could shop at Macy's, have a drink at House of Blues or see a first run movie at the new Sundance cinema.

Then you would be close to tons of good restaurants for dinner after your husband picks you up! I think you could make a great day of it.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
58 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend my day in Houston?

Houston is hard without a car. I would recommend renting one for the day just so you are not left hanging (either you are bored/seen everything there or if you want to go to another location without paying $50 on a cab). I would go to the Woodlands mall/Woodlands Market Place. Tons to see and do. I would then go to the Houston Zoo and maybe the museums. I don't think I could spend 7-9 hours downtown. But there are tons of good restaurants but there'd be plenty of walking. Houston can be a fun town!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend my day in Houston?

If you like shopping and cute restaurants/cafes, you should check out the Rice Village. Nice neighborhood, especially on a sunny day when you can sit outside. I would definitely recommend La Madeleine for coffee and dessert. For ethnic cuisine, Shiva is great if you like Indian food, Kubo's if you like sushi. Thai Village is also delicious (try their yellow curry!) Baker St. has great British pub-type food (fish & chips, bangers & mash, etc.) And the Chocolate Bar is to die for--even if you don't buy anything, you have to go in to see all the varieties of chocolate and things made of chocolate! For a complete list of vendors and restaurants, you can go here: http://www.ricevillageonline.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend my day in Houston?

To add to that, you can easily walk to Rice University from the Rice Village and explore the campus (it's beautiful!) And from Rice University, it's another short walk to Hermann Park, which is expansive and beautiful (try the peddle boats!). The Museum of Natural Science is right next to Hermann Park, so you could easily fill a day with all these activities.

7. Re: Where to spend my day in Houston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:41
Get answers to your questions about Houston