We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

I hope to visit in August. I am aware the heat will be more significant than what we are used to on the Irish coast but school holidays dictate travelling times. My wife has family there and I am happy just to be allowed wander in book and record shops and write an odd poem. However, our daughter is at that demanding mid teen stage. She likes dance and musical theatre, live music and shopping. I have not been informed of certain other interests possibly. Would a ten day visit to Houston test my sanity and patience and her tolerance or is it fascinating enough for us???

Edited: 10 May 2012, 13:42
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

Absolutely!

Tons and tons of shopping in the Houston area.

Lots of music venues as well. What kind of music does she like?

Music and dance theatre visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/…

What part of town will you be staying in?

Welcome to Houston!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

You might consider visiting Austin for a day or two - cool, hip, college town. Check out some of the posts there.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

That is exactly the response I was hoping for! She studies modern, tap and ballet but we all love the Broadway type musicals, amateur or professional. I'm not sure what part of town we may be in but I'll find out. Thanks so much for that perfect reply!

Edited: 10 May 2012, 16:18
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

Octoboy - one of my all time favourite songs is 'If this is Austin.' That would be a definite to do.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

I also love "Austin", by Blake Shelton. You should hear him sing it live!

Glad I was able to help with this trip. Please return with any further questions you may have.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

If you do go to Austin (and it's certainly worth the drive and an overnight stay) be aware that the University of Texas at Austin will be gearing up for the new term. The major move in dates for students into the university residence halls begins on August 24, and that weekend will be crazy busy around the campus. This affects hotel availability and pricing so if you plan an overnight stay, book now. If your daughter is contemplating attending university, she might be interested in how UT, which is a very large university, compares to places at home she might be considering. It's about a 3 hour drive from Houston to Austin.

Another possibililty for an overnight stay would be San Antonio. Lots of interesting things to do and good places to eat. This would be a four hour drive from Houston.

Although this is not among her stated interests, you might think about checking the schedule for the Houston Astros, our major league baseball team. If they are in town during your stay this could be worthwhile just because it's so different than Irish sports. Minute Maid Park, the playing venue, is enclosed and air conditioned in the summer, so going to a game in August isn't an ordeal.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

Houston always has Broadway musicals downtown and the Houston ballet is one of the best in the country. Look at ticketmaster on line to see if there are any big shows she is interested in. The Woodlands has a great outdoor theater for major music. She can shop to her hearts content at the Galleria, and you will love the prices compared to those in the EU!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

Lots of shopping and dining in The Woodlands, even for picky teenage girls. ;-) We love Market Street, and the mall is good too.

www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com/default

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

I have prepared my arguments based on your extensive and comprehensive replies. Watch this space!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Houston have enogh to satisfy a picky teenaged daughter

Definitely go to the Galleria. If she likes to shop, this is like the mecca of shopping. The Woodlands Mall is also really fun.

There are lots of good restaurants too if she likes that sort of thing.

Definitely check on any musicals that may be in town. Theatre Under the Stars and Broadway Across America are prominent here.

There's water stuff too if you do head to San Antonio or to the Hill Country/Austin... Schlitterbahn is always a favorite but avoid it on the weekend. Fun to do since it'll be hot hot hot.