We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about Houstion

Dubai, United Arab...
3 posts
Save Topic
questions about Houstion

We are going to Houston next month, would like to get some info on the below:

Public transportation: from Downtown to Galleria area, which bus, metro to take?

How to book NASA tours, is it better to go on our one or book guided tour, is there a public transportation that takes us there?

What is the best affordable mall next to down town (1600 lamar st, Central Business District )

thank you

katy,Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about Houstion

You can take the bus to the galleria but it wouldn't be easy.several transfers could take a long time.There is no public transportation to NASA.the least expensive mall from your address is northwest mall but it's not very nice or very good.go to galleria.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about Houstion

Despite what the previous poster has said, there is public transportation to Space Center Houston (NASA). If you go to www.ridemetro.org and go to the trip planner section, you can input your starting address and destination and you can find the options. By bus it takes between 64 and 75 minutes one way. If you were to rent a car (and there are rental locations downtown) it would take about half an hour or so in non-rush hour traffic; the drive is an easy one. This would give you the flexibility to set your own hours and stay as long or as litle as you want there. Also, you wouldn't have to deal with finding a bus connection or end up in an area you might not want to be in.

You can also use this site to find options for getting by bus to the Galleria from downtown.

katy,Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about Houstion

After 40 years in Houston learn something new.although I wouldn't ride metro to NASA you would go through some very rough areas to get there.not worth it

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about Houstion

Last year I stayed at a hotel one block from the Galleria and I took the Westheimer bus into downtown and went to the convention center where he dropped me off and stayed 8 hours. I then got back on the bus and went back to my hotel. It was very simple. Walk one block from your hotel to LaBranch. Then go to the right and go up 3 blocks to Walker. You want to catch either the 81 or the 82. They both go by the Galleria and will let you off there. Westheimer is a major street in Houston and goes on for probably 10 plus miles. When you want to go back to the Hilton, just walk back out to Westheimer in front of the Galleria and hop back on the bus. They probably come about every 15 mins or so. It looks like the fare each way is $1.25. Drivers don't make change so be sure you have ones and quarters. If you don't, I think the machine will let you put $2 in to cover it, but you won't get 75 cents in change.

treebeards.com/locmenus/maps/mpdtmrtr.html Here is a nice map of downtown

Here is Galleria info: www.simon.com/mall/malldirectory.aspx?id=805

Directly across the street from the Galleria is Centre Post Oak with more shopping:

weingarten.com/retail/…0171-141_mkt_pkg.pdf

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about Houstion

Downtown Houston has a very nice food court at The Shops of Houston Center downtownhouston.org/news/…

Not only does this house the food court, but there are about 6 other small food eateries adjacent to the food court including a Starbucks.

Immediately across the street from the building where the food court is was a new “gem” for Houston. It is the Phoenicia Foods which is huge and has a wonderful deli. Click this website and look at the videos. http://phoeniciafoods.com/ This is great for guests in nearby down hotels as Phoenicia is open until about 11pm and also open for breakfast. Conventioners/tourists who a dead tired can grab and entire meal, drink, alcohol etc. and take it to their room.

Walk up to Main Street and you’ll see Macy’s Dept. Store and also the Rail Car station on Main. This light rail will take you to the Museum District. www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/default.asp… Two blocks from Macy’s is a very small area of shops and restaurants and Books-A-Million bookstore. Here is the link http://www.houstonpavilions.com/ I looked inside about 4 of the restaurants and they were lovely and I plan to try some of them next time I go to Houston (I live near Austin).

Lastly, another quick lunch/dinner spot near Macy’s is Jason’s Deli on side street off Main . We have this chain in Austin and I love their salad bar and soups and great sandwiches. It’s at 901 McKinney www.jasonsdeli.com

Another are of downtown is the theatre district and the Aquarium. Hard Rock Cafe is there too.

aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumhous…

The Museum District (URL above) is about a 10 min Rail ride from downtown and the Museum of Fine Art . http://www.mfah.org/

Lastly, there is the infamous Houston Tunnel System. It is downtown and connects tunnels to downtown office buildings. http://www.houstontunnels.com/ I cannot help you here, because it’s been over 30 years since I was in the tunnels. It’s primarly for office workers to run errands at shops and have lunch in climate controlled tunnels and stay out of the heat, cold or rain.

HOUSTON MUSEUM DISTRICT AND HERMAN PARK

There is an area not far from downtown that is called the Museum District and across the way is the huge Hermann Park which has many attractions. The two main ones are the Zoo and the Museum of Natural Science. Museum features the Wortham IMAX Theatre, Burke Baker Planetarium, Cockrell Butterfly Center, permanent exhibit halls and traveling exhibitions. It is wonderful. Here is a great link and if you click on the Map you can see all the other things in the Park.

http://www.hermannpark.org/visit.php

http://www.hmns.org/ Link to M. of Natural Science

http://www.houstonzoo.org/directions/ Houston Zoo Link

Here are a few links regarding the Museum District which has many art museums . This is a lovely tree filled area of Houston and makes for nice day of sightseeing. The light rail runs straight from downtown and ends at the Reliant Center with a stop at the M. District.

visithoustontexas.com/visitors/…

www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/default.asp… This site also has a great map

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about Houstion

There is a Macy's and a few other stores within downtown itself. I did not know that there was a Metro bus to NASA until a visitor pointed it out and he gave some detail information (about a month or so ago). To the original post - do a search and you will find that post.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
58 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions about Houstion

If possible rent a car. Going a long distance around Houston it is better to be in control of your own transportation.

If not, check out www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Default.aspx, us.megabus.com/…

The services above are the two services in Houston for busses. Metro Bus System, and The Mega Bus (new bus rides for $1 around Houston- in some places).

GL.

8. Re: questions about Houstion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:18