We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

Which Houston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

Our family has an overnight layover in Houston (IAH), arriving around 8pm and departing the next day around 1pm. Realistically, it will probably be 9pm before we get anywhere. It sounds like the Marriott would be the most convenient... but it's above our price range. The Doubletree was my first choice but they currently have no availability. I'm now looking at the Sheraton and Spring Hill Suites. Are these my only choices if we'd like to stay at a full-service hotel *with* a restaurant?

The Sheraton seems to have horrible reviews from 2011 but seems to have improved, and physically updated besides. Does anyone have a recent stay / experience they can share their impressions from?

Any other suggestions would be really welcome. Thanks!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

There is a Hilton Garden Inn, which offers a grill, not sure of their hours.

The Hyatt North Houston would be an option, too. They are a bit further away but do offer complimentary shuttle. There is also another Marriott near the Hyatt.

Hope this will help!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

I too would suggest Hyatt North (formerly Crown Plaza and Sofitel before that). I have eaten there several times - food is good plus I know ppl that have stayed and liked it.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

Hi,

Here is the HGI website info:

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

We look for Hilton Garden Inns in our travels; nice rooms, comfortable beds,and great staff!

Hope this helps,

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56003-d99137-R…

The Hilton Houston North hotel would also be a possibility. It was formerly the Wyndham Greenspoint and is a pretty nice hotel. It has decent food as well, at least at various corporate meetings I've attended there. It has a shuttle and is only about 15 min. from the airport.

The Hyatt Place in Greenspoint would also be a possibility. I've stayed at Hyatt Place's in other cities and they were very nice. I'm not sure that you'd consider their restaurant completely full service though.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

Proceed with caution because you are getting in late and most of these places will shut down their restaurants at 9 or before.

What about taking a cab to hotel and ordering in? Front desk should have info. Or finding a hotel that is next to a 24 hour place such as IHOP or Denny's. Most nice restaurants will be closing. Staffing costs etc.

I know for a fact that Houston pizza delivery venues stay open late.

urbanspoon.com/n/…IAH-Airport-restaurants

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

I've stayed at the Marriott a couple of times when I missed a connection at IAH and it is very nice.

Recently, my wife missed a connection when IAH closed for a while due to storms and was diverted to Corpus. She finally got on a flight to IAH and I was able to get her a room at Hyatt North in Houston - a lot of places were already sold out.

When I was making the reservation for her I asked about the restaurant. They said it closed at 11. She wasn't due in until midnight so the reservation switchboard contacted the hotel and I was able to arrange to have food waiting for her in her room for when she arrived. The best thing was that they actually followed through and did it.

So, I'm giving a thumbs up for Hyatt North because they made my wife happy and helped her out in a bad situation.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

Thank you, everyone, for your really helpful ideas. I followed up on a few of the suggestions. Hilton Garden Inn was surprisingly expensive; enough so that it would make more sense to stay at the Marriott right at the airport. Spring Hill Suites is also expensive but reviews are excellent, so probably worth it. The Hyatt North and Sheraton are more moderate and do have restaurants that are open late.

That said, we're finalizing some of the details for the travel day (we'll be coming from Belize) and it's starting to look like a long day of shuttles, flights, etc. and I'm thinking that it would be worth the extra $$ to stay at the Marriott. Sigh... no matter how I plan it, the trip home from vacation is never the fun part!

8. Re: Full-service hotel with restaurant for overnight layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:45